Krissy

Heya : )

Hey, Im Krissy. I live in Devon in the UK.Ive always wanted some Zebra finches and finally got some for Christmas from my Boyfriend. There so fascinating. I think Ive bored my family with them so itll be cool to have some people who share the interest to talk to. Below is a picture of the 4 I have. I believe Myrrh and Holly are Greys, and Pablo and Angel are CFW (please correct me if Im wrong!) I would like to breed them eventually. I love how many colours and mutations there are of them. Nice to meet you all.006.jpg

Hi Krissy that was a lovely Christmas present to get. You'll get lots of help here, I know I have.Your 'wee family' is just lovely.Emmy

Hello everyone. What Im most interested in learning about is about the genetics and the different colours and how they affect the offspring; ie with Phaeo colouring (dont know if there know as different names) how black faced, black breasted and orange breasted give the orange and white colouring. Probably jumping a bit in the deep end with that particular example... but maybe working up to that. I have looked on other sites but I get a bit confused with some colourings. I remember doing genetics at school with dominant and recessive genes etc, but that was a good year or so ago and that was with pretty simple examples. Anyone got any basic info to use as a starting point?Thanks for the help!

Hi Krissy welcome to the forum i know you will enjoy the site we are very friendly bunch on here :) mark

Hi Krissy Phaeo is made up of Black breast,Fawn and the white colouring comes from Isabel,there are other Phaeo type birds which have a few other mutation in them.Phaeo = Fawn,Black breast,isabel.Orange Breasted Phaeo = Fawn,Black breast,orange breast,Isabel this one has more colour on it front.Orange faced Phaeo = Fawn,Black Breast,Orange Breast,Black face,Isabel this one has the most Orange colouring of the Phaeos.Paul.

Hi KrissyBelow is a link i have put on for you about the pheao but look at the link Isabel it will explain more,Whilst your at this link you may like to take part in our poll of which colours do you keep hope you enjoy :wacko:My linkmark

Thank you. Id love to eventually have some of all of them lol. I love all the colour combinations, and there so fascinating to watch. I havent heard of any breeders where I live yet, so mine are petshop bought. They never seem to get many colours apart from those. When I have more spave I will defo be keeping my eye out for them though :)

Hi KrissyIf your interested in different colours someone might be able to help if we was to know which region of UK you from,I live near Manchester,mark

Hello Krissy,welcome to the forum.There are quite a few breeders down in your neck of the woods,I suggest that you contact the Zebra Finch Society....I know that several of the administrators of the Society are living in Plymouth,and there will know of others.Good luck and Best Wishes.Peter.

Peter - Ahh thank you. Yeah I think thats the best solution.Mark - I live in South Devon. After looking at your poll I had to browse the pictures of the different colours. Loving the crested! LOL I need some of those one day!