Sign in to follow this  
Andyn

Newbe From Exeter Area

Hi! I'm Andy N and live just outside of Exeter in Devon.

I have been a Budgie man for the last 17years but everything is changing in the Budgie world and I don't think I want to continue with them.

When Exeter B&FBS was running I did show and tried again about two years ago with very little success. (think Iv'e got left behind)

We also have a Finch avairy with Canaries, Zebies and a pair (2) Bengalese.

Whilst on holiday in May of this year we saw and bought a pair of Pied Zebies from a Garden Centre near Launceston Cornwall. These were very much biger than our avairy Zebies so assumed they were of Exhibition Quality.

We bred the pair in a cage and 2 chicks survived. They have recently moulted through and both are cock birds with one being enormous compared to his own parents and sibling and a giant compared to the avairy birds. (who's roots were also Exhibition stock given to us by the late Alan Dunsford some 5 or 6 years ago)

I am seriously considering trying to breed and at a later date perhaps show Zebies and I would apreciate any help finding breeders in and around my location.

Anyway, thats me and my aspirations and I look forward to joining in with the forum.

Hi Andyn

Welcome to the forum .

Why dont you fill in where you live in the 'Members map' and have a look to see where some of the other forum members are situated it will give you an idea if any of the members/breeders live near you but failing that I'm sure other members will be able to help you out. They are a great bunch here and all are willing to help.

Good luck with the breeding. It would be nice if you could post a photograph of your pied zebra finches I've just bought myself a pair pf pieds a few weeks ago this is a photograph of them

Emmy

Pair_Pied_zebras_finches_bought_from_Colin_Clark.jpg

Hi! I'm Andy N and live just outside of Exeter in Devon.

I have been a Budgie man for the last 17years but everything is changing in the Budgie world and I don't think I want to continue with them.

When Exeter B&FBS was running I did show and tried again about two years ago with very little success. (think Iv'e got left behind)

We also have a Finch avairy with Canaries, Zebies and a pair (2) Bengalese.

Whilst on holiday in May of this year we saw and bought a pair of Pied Zebies from a Garden Centre near Launceston Cornwall. These were very much biger than our avairy Zebies so assumed they were of Exhibition Quality.

We bred the pair in a cage and 2 chicks survived. They have recently moulted through and both are cock birds with one being enormous compared to his own parents and sibling and a giant compared to the avairy birds. (who's roots were also Exhibition stock given to us by the late Alan Dunsford some 5 or 6 years ago)

I am seriously considering trying to breed and at a later date perhaps show Zebies and I would apreciate any help finding breeders in and around my location.

Anyway, thats me and my aspirations and I look forward to joining in with the forum.

Hi Andy

Shame you didnt post this about a week ago, you have missed the south western zebra finch clubs annual show that was held in Clyst St Mar, near Exeter last sunday , you would have seen nearly 200 pairs of exhibtion zebras benched

Hi Andyn

Welcome to the forum .

Why dont you fill in where you live in the 'Members map' and have a look to see where some of the other forum members are situated it will give you an idea if any of the members/breeders live near you but failing that I'm sure other members will be able to help you out. They are a great bunch here and all are willing to help.

Good luck with the breeding. It would be nice if you could post a photograph of your pied zebra finches I've just bought myself a pair pf pieds a few weeks ago this is a photograph of them

Emmy

Pair_Pied_zebras_finches_bought_from_Colin_Clark.jpg

Thanks Emmy.

Have filled in where I live on map but nearest member on map is Wiltshire. The photo of your pieds is a little spooky because the markings on both Cock and Hen are vertualy the same as the pair we bought. Mine are out in the main finch avairy so geting a family photo would take some doing but I'll try to get individual ones if they will stay still long enough and I must say yours look stunning

Cheers for now.

welcome to the forum Andy

hope you enjoy your new challenge of breeding zebs

Dave

Thanks Dave,

I enjoy breeding all the birds we have.

Hi Andy

Shame you didnt post this about a week ago, you have missed the south western zebra finch clubs annual show that was held in Clyst St Mar, near Exeter last sunday , you would have seen nearly 200 pairs of exhibtion zebras benched

Hi Dave,

Yes, I/we had planed to pay a visit but unfortunatly wasn't able to go in the end.

hi and welcome from one newbie to another they are a helpfull bunch on here

steve

Thanks Steve,

Andy N,

Welcome to the forum, hope you enjoy your stay on here.

Trevor :)

Thanks Trevor, I apreciate the welcome

Hi Andy,

Welcome to the forum.

I know Exeter Well , was born there.

And my Dad lives Near Launceston.

Good luck With your Zebbies :)

Clare

The photo of your pieds is a little spooky because the markings on both Cock and Hen are vertualy the same as the pair we bought. Mine are out in the main finch avairy so geting a family photo would take some doing but I'll try to get individual ones if they will stay still long enough

Andyn I know that problem about getting photographs-- once they are in the aviary they can do what they want - and they seem to know it too :lol: I'm keeping that pair of pieds in a cage for the time being until they settle in with each other and hopefully when I transfer them into the aviary the will stay paired up together. When I get the pair of orange breasted ones I'll do the same with them.

I really like the colours of that pair - imagine you getting a similar pair :D

Emmy

Hi Andy,

Welcome to the forum.

I know Exeter Well , was born there.

And my Dad lives Near Launceston.

Good luck With your Zebbies :)

Clare

Thank You Clare,

We live just over the boundary in Exminster.

Does your dad breed the Zebies that we got from Homeleigh Garden Centre just outside Launceston? They were stunning and I should imagine that if they were the second string/sales what do the First string look like! (Not close rung though)

Andyn I know that problem about getting photographs-- once they are in the aviary they can do what they want - and they seem to know it too :lol: I'm keeping that pair of pieds in a cage for the time being until they settle in with each other and hopefully when I transfer them into the aviary the will stay paired up together. When I get the pair of orange breasted ones I'll do the same with them.

I really like the colours of that pair - imagine you getting a similar pair :D

Emmy

Emmy

Have managed to get reasonable photos.

#1 is 75% of the Pied family. Dad is on the end of lower perch by wire, Mum is next to the Canary and a Male chick is next to the little Black Cheek on same perch as dad

#2 is of the other male chick who is the biggest and in the middle.075ofthePiedFamily.jpgPiedZebieChick.jpg

Hi Andy Thanks for the photograph they're lovely birds. Nice to see the canary there too. I'm not sure whether or not to try putting my pair of canaries into the aviary beside the finches because when I had the female canary in beside a male zebra finch -just the 2 of them in the cage, she was a bit bossy (hence her name : Bossyboots :lol: ) chasing him so much so I had to separate them and then go and buy a male canary to keep her happy. The other problem is if they didnt get on I cant think of a way to get them back out of the indoor aviary.

Emmy

Hi Andy welcome to the forum sorry i am bit late seeing this post as i have been very busy with other things anyway big welcome from me.

mark

Hi Andy welcome to the forum sorry i am bit late seeing this post as i have been very busy with other things anyway big welcome from me.

mark

Thanks Mark, much appreciated

Emmy,

I know that both sexes of the canaries can be a bit aggressive at times but Zebies can be with thier own kind. There seems to be mostly respect between the two species & with the Begalese being so laid back they are likely to fall over it is usualy harmony in the mixed flight.

Good luck if/when you put your Canaries in and make a mixed avairy.

hi andy ,

im from down here in cornwall if you want to get in touch about shows etc , plus in plymouth youve got peter cannon and frank and mavis dawson who bothshow zebies , peters main colours are pieds and whites , both phone numbers can be found on the zfs web site

ade