casamber

Confused

Im not very good at sex linked mutations and dont usually breed them, so need a little help....

I have 2 chicks fledged last week. Parents are a CFW cock and grey hen. Both chicks are CFW so i know they are girls, but... One has a black beak with black tear marks and white feathers, the other has a horn coloured beak with fawn tear makes and creamy feathers. So the cock is obviously split for fawn right? But then why are both chicks not the same? I thought that if a a cock was split to a sex linked mutation then it always shows? Obviously thats not case right? Im so confused now... :lol:

Kerry

black beak iscause there young . i have 2 cfws 3 chicks 1 white light pink colour and the other 2 black

i had an isabell fawn cock and a grey cheeckfawn hen prob not the rite name. i got a normal and a white from them a white i was not execting

if u look at the white you would swear its from a white pair but when she breeds u may get some sort a isabell fawn just all depending on parents of the bird and sometimes parents parents etc

Kerry,

I'll try and keep it simple, all what you said is correct. Now because the male has inherited the fawn gene, he's carrying 2 (cfw and Fawn cfw) both of these are basicly even, so for ex, your 2 young could have quite as easily been 2x cfw or 2x fawn cfw, but yours has produced one of each.

It's a difficult one to put into words, if Paul reads this probually he can put it a different and more understanable way, but i hope this has made things a bit clearer.

Trevor :)

Ok that makes sense. I just assumed that if he was split for fawn he would always produce CFW fawns. So, on a slightly different note... can a CFW produce grey hens? Or just CFW hens? Thanks for the help!

Kerry

That helps a lot thanks Trevor :) Thats what i always thought it to be but am now starting to doubt my knowledge on sex linked mutations! Seems i have more to learn than i thought :blush:

Kerry

Hi Kerry

CFW fawn chicks usually don't have horn coloured beaks, that description looks like a continental cfw hen. If it be so, the cock would be a CFW split CCFW and would be able to produce CFW and CCFW daughters. What about the tail coverts of the creamy chick? Are they washed out like in cfw, or evenly darker than usual?

cheers

Dimitri

Hi Dimitri

I dont keep CCFW's would a fawn tear mark be found in them as i was of the understanding the CCFW's where much darker marked than Most of our uk CFW's or is this because i see mostly exhibition CCFW's?.

Paul.

Hi Paul

here is a young grey ccfw, just fledged

ucc%2520051a1.jpg

compared to a regular cfw fledgeling,

note the creamy overall colour, brown tear mark, horn coloured beak, the tail coverts are the same colour as the tear mark.

After moult the tear marks and tail coverts darken to black or almost black.

ciao

Dimitri

• Like 1

Hi Dimitri

Thanks for the info there's a big difference between the fledgeling and adult bird in terms of the markings.

This young Continental CFW will be much darker in the tail than the uk CFW's once adult plumage is gained and retain a creamy back tint as it has now.

Dimitri do you have a adult CCFW shot showing the tail colour as this could be a little confusing for some.

Paul.

Here is a picture I took some years ago, these were not show type birds, which are more strongly marked like the one posted above by Sam, but the difference is quite visible.

cfwshens.jpg

ciao

Dimitri

Hi Kerry

CFW fawn chicks usually don't have horn coloured beaks, that description looks like a continental cfw hen. If it be so, the cock would be a CFW split CCFW and would be able to produce CFW and CCFW daughters. What about the tail coverts of the creamy chick? Are they washed out like in cfw, or evenly darker than usual?

cheers

Dimitri

The tail coverts are quite washed out but definately darker than the other CFW chicks. The back is getiing creamier in colour as she gets older. I will try and get a picture soon. Thanks

Kerry

Hi Kerry

If you compare the markings and colour on the UK Cfw below you can see the huge difference.

CFW2011B-1-2.jpg

Paul.

Thanks Paul. Her tail markings are much darker than that picture and her back and wings are very cream in colour. I wouldnt mind producing a few more this colour, its very pretty.

Kerry