dean

Crested Penguin

hi all.

me and colly was thinking can you have a crested penguin????

if so how do you get one..

we both keep penguins and normal crested zebs.

cheers dean.

i  guess to make one  is to put a crested to a normal penguin    you'd probably get normal looking zebs of which some would be crested also split penguin then put one of the those crested chicks  to another line of penguins and i think you might end up with a crested penguin

Dean/Colly,

He we go:- Cr Normal x Normal Pen

50% Normal/Penguin
50% Crested (SF) /Penguin 

Now if you run 2 or more lines you then breed Normal / Pen x Cr Normal / Pen:-

25% Crested (SF) /Penguin
12.5% Penguin
12.5% Crested (SF) Penguin
25% Normal/Penguin
12.5% Crested (SF)
12.5% Normal

Hope this is ok,

If not sure i will try to explain a bit more.

Trevor :)

Jugglerjeff: put a crested to a normal penguin.... then put one of the those crested chicks  to another line of penguins

Hi Dean,
I think the most suitable mating has been indicated above by Jugglerjeff.
Jeff's plan could give you a crested penguin in one or two rounds (1/4) and you will know the exact genetics of each offspring, while Trev's plan could give you a crested penguin after ages (1/8) and the genetics of all the ng chicks will be unknown until you "test" them with a penguin partner.

ciao
Dimitri

Dimitri,

What they are aiming at are Cr Penguins, so if they continue to pair Cr Norm with Penguin 1st time around, they will get the pairs for getting 12.5% Cr penguin in the second year.

Any other young produced in the 2nd round  are not needed. More pairs set for the 2nd season brings the odds down.

That's why I said 2 or more pairs.

Hope I've made myself a bit more clearer. 

All the best for 2013,

Trevor :)

Hi Trev,
you have been clear enough, perhaps I have been not, let my try to explain better:
your mating Cr split penguin x split penguin gives,in theory, 1 crested penguin out of 8 chicks. This is a rather low percentage, you could need no less then two full clutches to get only one "good" chick. Consider also that the ng chicks (both crested and not crested) produced from this mating could be split for penguin as well as they could not, so you could be in the need to use them in the following season to produce more crested penguins but you won't know which one is split and which one is not... what will you do?
The mating proposed by Jeff Cr split penguin x penguin gives, again in theory, 1 crested penguin out of 4 chicks, that's to say you have good chance to hit the target already within the first clutch. And eventually, all the ng chicks produced (both crested and not crested) will be sure split for penguin, so if you need some split penguin to produce more crested penguins (or for example, one split parent could die) you can chose any of them and be sure of the results. I like to know perfectly what I have in my cages and breeding "possibly split" x "possibly split" is always a waste of room and time. That's why the best plan is first year Crested x penguin and second year Crested split penguin x penguin. When dealing with recessive mutation, split x split is the "last chance" mating, when only split birds are available, split x full is much better. Just my 2 cents.

Of course, Dean could also pair a crested split penguin x split penguin and get 3 crested penguins chicks already in the first clutch... who can tell? That's the fun side of the hobby  :)

all the best to you too
ciao
Dimitri