I am Mal from Hull East Yorkshire.I'm a retied publican from Hull in East Yorkshire. I kept new coloured canaries for a short while and was advised by my docter give it up as it wasn't helping my COPD (breathing problems) but of late I have thoght if I have an outside avairy it would not cause me a problem.Searching around the net I was suprised to see how many mutations there are in Zebra Finches. Do they need heating in winter as I was not planing on masive acomadation for them,are there any members in my area with some of these mutatrions,I aspecialy like the penguines.Mal (Hull)

Hello Mal and welcome to the forum, Zebras will need shelter from the cold winter winds such as a covered area or just covering the outside of the flight through the winter.

Paul.

hi mal and welcome i have canaries and zebs in my aviary which in covered in polythene and a night shelter but they prefer to be in the flight even this morning when  it was minus 6 they were all outside singing

steve

Welcome to the forum Mal

I kept new coloured canaries for a short while and was advised by my docter give it up as it wasn't helping my COPD (breathing problems)

Dont want to put a damper on what you are considering but I take it you had kept the canaries indoors. but dont forget even if you have the canaries in an aviary you will still be in that environment when you go in to clean them out and feed them. I know another person who had to get rid of quails for the same reason and his were kept outside.

Saying that I hope everthing works out OK with the aviary for you- a great hobby.

Emmy

Hi and welcome to the forum Mal.

I have a relative with COPD. Her daughter keeps cats, so whenever she visits, she wears a mask over her mouth and claims that it doesn't affect her. Maybe you could do that if you needed?

Kerry