Emmy

My Orange Breasted Zebra Finches

Thanks Marie

That's the first pair of Orange breasted finches I've had. Cant wait to find out what the young will be like.

Emmy

Hi Emmy

Very nice i'm pleased for you the mother seems to be a Black Breast Normal hen i dont see any OB in her i could be wrong mind but she has black feathers next to her beak which OB usually does away with.

Paul.

If what I read is correct OB hens carry orange in there tails if they are both OB the chicks should be 100% OB some nice clear pics aswell. Good luck with the chicks.

Hi Emmy

Now looking at that photo she looks like she could be OBBB i have a few OBBB hens and although they dont have as much black feathering near the beak she has an orange tint to her tale like a OBBB hen.

You should get if the hen is OBBB

100% OB/BB cocks and hens.

Paul

Many thanks Gibby and Paul will post some more photos when the chicks are a bit older.

Emmy

Emmy,

Congrats on these, something a bit different.

That hen, just my opinion could be a BB split OB if so they should be:-

50% OB split BB

50% Normal split OBBB

It'll be interesting keep us posted please.

All the best,

Trevor :)

Your orange breast male is gorgeous! :wub:  He has lots of orange flecking on his head... doesn't that imply that he is split black breast too?

Kerry

I will keep you all updated as the chicks get a bit bigger. The parents are definately looking after them. The dad is very possesive I went to 'budge' him off the nest this morning just to make sure they were still feeding the chicks and he pecked me and sat still he wasnt the least bit frightened or nervous so I had to wait until hen was on nest before I could check. Only get a few seconds to check before 'bully boy' is back on the nest. I'll not be surprised  if one day I  find a notice next to nest saying -'Private property KEEP OUT!'

re if the parents are split for BB I've no idea I was very lucky to be given them as a gift and I truly appreciated that. I reckon I'll not be parting with those chicks - the chicks are actually quite big to be only hatched out 5 days ago definately much larger than any other chicks I've had.

What would be the outcome if I was to pair him up with a pied hen ? I'll post a photo of her soon.

Emmy

Emmy,

If you put your OB male x Normal Pied hen =

100% Normal split OB Pieds

If at a later date you paired Normal split OB pied x Normal split OB pied =

25% Normal/Orange breasted Pied
6.25% Pied
12.5% Pied /Orange breasted
12.5% Normal/Pied
6.25% Orange breasted
12.5% Orange breasted /Pied
12.5% Normal/Orange breasted
6.25% Normal
6.25% Orange breasted Pied   

Hope this has helped,

All the best Emmy,

Thanks Trevor

Great! guess that would give me  more colours

If at a later date you paired Normal split OB pied x Normal split OB pied =

That prediction sounds good- even better - more variety

but that would mean I'd need another pair of unrelated OB and also another pair of unrelated Pieds  or it would mean very close inbreeding. because all the Normal split OB pieds would be brothers and sisters. Pity :huh:

Emmy

Aww so tiny! I cant wait to see what colours they turn out :good:

It's funny that you want to pair your orange breasts with pieds as i work my butt off trying to keep pieds out of my birds! And the one and only orange breast i have is split to pied :lol:

The grey/white pieds were the first pieds I have had/ same with the orange breasted. For many years what I always had were normals until at the end of 2011 when I bought a CFW male /Fawn female. I dont intend ever to show them-- just would be interested to see what I would get from that pairing--But it will be a while yet --the pieds have laid 5 eggs but it looks like only 1 is fertile and I've got my doubts about that one developing they are forever coming off the nest-they are not good at incubating the eggs. Just thinking that OB male is a really good dad and if I paired him to the pied hen he may show her how to raise a few chicks. :D Just cant make up my mind whether I should remove the eggs and let them start over again

I will be good when those three start to colour up, but I'm just so pleased they are doing so well.

Emmy

Emmy,

See what you get out this time around, then if you want put the male pied to the hen which is with your OB male.

See what you've got first with these then we should get a good idea what the hen is.

All the best Emmy,

Thanks Trevor

I'll do that when the chicks have fledged - then I'll put the male pied and the 'ob' hen in a cage with the separator in so they can see each other and it will give the hen a rest for 2/3 weeks before removing the separator.  Be interesting to see what happens.

Emmy

• Like 1

hello Emmy

your cock is an ob split bb, the hen is a bb( she can carry ob but i can't see it)

you can expected 50% bb chicks

wait see how the chick colored to well know parent's genetics

Thanks Sam

I'll post photographs of them when they are older and it may be easier to

tell then

Emmy

Hi Emmy,

The chicks look to be doing well, and have a good looking dad to :good:

Hope all works out ok, will be  interesting to see what you get if you introduce pied into them. ;)