tina1977

Something I Wasnt Expecting

Hi guys,

My normal grey cock and black cheek hen have produced chicks which have black full cheeks like the hen does. I wasnt expecting them to be so full or black with the chicks being normals split for black cheek. I thought their cheeks would be duller and not cover the full cheek. Will the cheeks stay like this or are they likely to go duller and less full after their first moult? I will be gutted if they do. Will try to get some pics of them 2morrow as i didnt have time today and now they are back in the nest.

Tina

Tina.

Not about the zebs. but there is an auction tommorrow not to far from you, I dont think,

Its in south kelsey. I worked out it would take about 35 mins to get to from you. But there is seed etc all on sale there and birds off course.

Cheers

Josh

Pm me for any details if you wanted any. Just though it'd be a different experience. 

Hi Tina. Black cheek is a reccessive gene which means that both parents will have to carry it for your chicks to show as black cheeks. It means that your cock bird is grey split for black cheek and your chicks are not splits, but full black cheeks :D The cheeks shouldn't alter much when they moult either.

I have 2 black cheek chicks in a nest now that came from a grey hen split black breast isabel and a black breast cock. I didnt even know that they carried the black cheek gene so it was a lovely surprise!

I cant wait to see pictures!

Kerry

• Like 1

Tina those photos are very good. (Hope you have kept one back for next months competition lol)

They really are lovely chicks (Is that proud dad wanting to start building a new nest to begin all over again. lol

No wonder you're as proud as punch.

Emmy

Thanks Emmy,

Yes he is ALWAYS trying to build a nest lol He never stops. Anything he can get hold of he will lol

Tina they are gorgeous! I want them!

Just out of curiosity, could you get a picture of thier backs and tails? One of my chicks has strange tail markings and im working on a theory but have nothing to compare it too :D

Kerry

Thankyou guys for your comments! :)  I am so happy all my chicks are flourishing. Not bad seeing as i have never done this before :D.

Kerry i will take a pic for u tommorow ok. They are settling down now for sleepies :)

Tina

Sorry Kerry having trouble with imageshack at the min GRRRRRRRRR. Its not recognising my email or password! BLOODY THING!. Is there any other site i can upload my images to ?

TIna

Hope this works Kerry

Sorry i could only get 1 to turn round lol   He was preening at the time thats why his feathers are all fluffed

blackcheekchicks001_zpsa1e72e96.jpg

Thank Tina! Does the other chicks tail look the same? My black cheek chicks have different tail markings to each other. One is more like spots than bars, similar to the one in your picture, and the other one just looks like normal bars. The one with the spots has a more rounded tear mark than the other so was just wondering if this was a common thing.

I hope this makes sense lol

Kerry

Hi Kerry,

Just had a look and yes both chicks tails look the same. I dont know anything about zebra finch tail markings. Have you got a pic of your one with the barring so i can see what this looks like please?

Tina

Im having trouble getting pictures of the chicks but i have some pics of other birds that have the same thing. This is a spotty tail....

post-833-0-12757200-1367416646_thumb.jpg

And this is a barred tail...

post-833-0-42635400-1367416806_thumb.jpg

I'm trying to figure why they are different and if it could be due to different mutations. Is there any chance that your chicks have any black breast in them?

Kerry

i cant see any sign of bb in the parents however 1of the chicks has a small black sort of shady area on its breast. I dont know if this will turn into a bb or if it will disappear when he moults.

Tina

Kerry,

There is no difference between them, the only thing i would say is that if you were showing it would be a fault apart from that it's ok.

If you bred it it might follow on, but not 100% on that.

Hope this has helped,

Trevor :)

Trevor, i have a few adults who have tails like this and they are all split black breast so i wondered if it was connected?

Kerry

i cant see any sign of bb in the parents however 1of the chicks has a small black sort of shady area on its breast. I dont know if this will turn into a bb or if it will disappear when he moults.

Tina

Thats normal Tina, it could be that the chick is going to be a cock so will get breast bars when he moults. But a lot of black cheek hens have traces of black on the breast too so you still wont know if its a male or female until its moulted.

Kerry