casamber

Bc Bb?

So far, all the BB BC I have bred have been hens and look like this after the moult...

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l41/whitecharmer/PICT0010_zps7bbbb793.jpg

Well today I spotted this one that has just started moulting into its adult colours and it looks like he has black cheeks coming through...

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l41/whitecharmer/PICT0003_zps680b0b47.jpg

I know BC chicks have the cheek patches before they moult so why didn't this one? Is this something that happens when you combine BB with BC?

Kerry

Kerry,

As you know I'm not into variations so I can't help with your question, just to say I only ever bred 1 black cheek in the garden aviary and it did have patches as a baby.

Nice looking birds though.

Andy

Kerry,

yes you are right as far as I know, both males I have bred this year the cheek came later.

If I was to guess at this, the standard BB male doesn't get his cheeks until later either and I reckon the BB gene is probably stronger so it keeps the BC at bay.

How many of these have you bred ?

I've had 1x BCBBLB male, 1x BCBB normal male and 1x BCBB normal hen (not a100% on this one yet).

Well done,

Trevor :)

hi Kerry

must say how lovely your birds are. I belive trevor is right about the bb gene.

richard

Thanks all...

Trevor, I have bred about 8 BB BC hens so far and just this one cock (assumed cock) but I still have another 5 just left the nest so will be interesting to see how they colour up, plus a few more hatching now.

I was really not expecting any of these birds to develop black cheeks so it gives me something to look forward to now with all the young chicks! That's assuming any of them turn out to be cocks as I seem to only be producing hens this year!

Kerry