Sign in to follow this  
sparky

black cheeked chestnut flanked whites

Hi Sparky and welcome to the forum.To be able to breed Blackcheeked Cfw`s you`ll need the following a pair of Cfw`s and a pair of Blackcheeks.From these 2 pairs of birds you can pair the Cfw Male to the Blackcheek Hen and expect to get the following colours.50% Normal cocks split for cfw and Blackcheeked.50% Cfw Hens split for Blackcheeked.Pairing 2 Blackcheek Male to a Cfw Hen.50% Normal Males split for Cfw and Blackcheeked.50% Normal Hens split for Blackcheeked.As the Blackcheeked Mutation is Recessive it will take you 2 years to produce visual Blackcheek Cfw`s.In your second year of breeding pair up the Normal split males from pairing 1 to your Normal hens split Blackcheek but i`m not 100% sure of percentages of colours sexes you`ll get so i`ll move onto pairing number 2.Pairing 2 Normal Male split Cfw and Blackcheed to a Cfw Hen split Blackcheeked will produce the following.6.25% Normal Males split Cfw.12.5% Normal Males split Cfw and Blackcheek.6.25% Cfw Males.12.5% Cfw Males split Blackcheek.6.25% Blackcheeked Males.6.25% Blackcheeked Cfw Males.6.25% Normal Hens.12.5% Normal Hens split Blackcheek.6.25% Cfw Hens.12.5% Cfw Hens split Blackcheek.6.25% Blachcheeked Hens.6.25% Blackcheek Cfw Hens.Hope this helps you out.CheersScott

• Like 1

Hi all,

With the above method, last year i got some bccfw birds two hens and two cocks from the same parents but different clutches. 2 of them have weaker/lighter cheek marks than the other two.

How do i improve the cheek marks in this years young?

If i simply paired my bccfw with an unrelated bccfw would this improve the cheek marks?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Chris,

If you use selective breeding try and use BC grey males with black flanks rather than the chestnut colouring.

It means they are a stronger black gene,

Hope this helps,

Trevor

• Like 3

Glad someone has asked this question as it's going to be my first attempt at what I would call "proper" breeding to get a certain mutation.

I went to the Stafford Show yesterday with Merv Shields, and he told me that he is going to have a go at producing some black cheeked CFW's... I have no doubt they'll be wonderful as he has already bred some awarding winning black cheeks and CFW's, which despite my desperate requests he won't sell me lol...

With this in mind I bought a good sized black cheeked cock bird yesterday which I'll pair with my biggest CFW hen... I have several big CFW's cock birds but only have a small sized black cheeked hen! Shall I use her? or try and get a bigger sized hen, as I'm after size and colour? Then breed their babies to get BCCFW's?

As I say, it's going to be my first attempt so will see how it goes...

I may be wrong in saying this Lee but I think your CFW hen would have to be  split for BC, because if she's not  even if the cock bird is a visual BC you wont get any BC chicks.

My first BC came from a pair that had no visual signs of BC but I was told both must have been split for BC for this to happen. Think the BC gene has to be present in both the cock and the hen.

Hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Emmy

• Like 1

Thanks Emmy, my understanding of it (probably wrong might I add) I'll have two pairs of birds like this:

Black Cheek Cock paired to a CFW hen ( pair 1)

CFW Cock paired to a Black Cheeked hen.. (pair 2)..

then in 12 months I'll breed the babies from pair 1 with the babies from pair 2 as they'll be spilt for black cheek? and I should get some mutations which will include black cheeked CFW???

Wrong??? help? lol

Something the same as I have been told. I was trying to get  bc white chicks.

I bought a pair of whites (female had visual BC) at Stafford in October last year. I paired them up, but never thought to question why the cock bird didn't have visual BC like the hen. Didn't get any BC chicks but because the hen was a visual BC the young would all be split for BC and the cock bird was just a 'white' not split for BC.

So this year I'll be doing what you will be trying out next year (lol) but I'll be using the adult white hen visual BC and pairing her up to one of the other youngsters from another pair of BC (I may even try another pair using one  chick from that pair and one from another pair.)

Beginning to feel its like a 'spaghetti junction'  :o  One thing I'm sure about is the BC hen but the one I hope to pair her up with  ??? not decided yet.  :unknw:  :lol:  :lol:

Emmy

• Like 1