Sign in to follow this  
Emmy

A Surprise !

This chick just fledged today, parents: father -grey pied mother - I think is cfw (or could be a white pied) but from the tail markings I'm thinking cfw.

I had someone looking for a BC finch at Stafford but didnt find any --  not sure about this but have a look - has my wish been granted(lol).

March6th2014blackcheekchick-notsure6_zps

March6th2014blackcheekchick-notsure1_zps

Emmy

well done emmy,i had a look in one of my nest's today and there was 7 bc chicks in there,that's 11 bc chicks from that pair the other 4 are fawn so hoping these will be the same.

steve

Thanks Trevor and Steve I'm  'tickled pink'  feel like putting the flags out. (lol)I'm I'm finding it hard to understand how two birds without black cheeks could produce this bonny wee chick. Its tail feathers are very dark with white bars. I think I'll let them pair up again they had only this one chick this time.

I must try to get a photo of the two chicks that came from the OB/BB cock and the white pied. Not sure if they are BB hens or normal.

Hope you get some fawn BC Steve.

Emmy

thanks emmy,

i hope you get a few more bc's they are a nice bird,i have a bc cfw cock bird that i want to pair up soon

steve

That pair have started laying again and there's 2 eggs in the nest already.

I was going to take the original  nest box away to replace it with a fresh nest box. What do you think? will they abandon the eggs if I do that ? Don't fancy letting them raise another  brood in a well used  nest box.

Emmy

hi emmy

nice chick you have there I said you would have a surprise  sooner or later .to answer your question I change my nest boxes all the time even when theres chicks in nest

but that's my birds and there use to it so maybe your birds might be ok but make sure the nest boxes are the same so that they cant tell the difference ok good luck if you try

richard

Thanks Richard and Dave

The birds are quite used to me so I'm going to change the nest box tonight I've got one exactly the same already sorted.

She now has 7 eggs in the nest, surely I'll get another BC out of that lot.

But guess as the saying goes 'you should never count your  chickens before they hatch' (lol).

Emmy

I made a mistake when I said this in the previous post: (She now has 7 eggs in the nest, surely I'll get another BC out of that lot) will be VERY surprised if that happened

:fool: I was looking in the wrong nest box :o  :lol:

The ones that produced the BC  have 3 eggs in the nest now and I have replaced the nest box with a fresh one and they are fine, but when I was changing the other nest box with the 7 eggs in it I broke one of the eggs :( so there's 6 eggs now and she is sitting on them but since I changed the nest box she wont let the other chicks that fledged  in the nest box now, so I think it will be OK to move the chicks out to another cage they seem to be feeding on their own now, but still beg to be fed by the dad.

Emmy

Thanks Chris,

It was a very nice surprise to find that BC chick especially when a friend who had been to Stafford couldn't find any BC's for me.

and its good to know there is a good chance of breeding even more only problem is I will need to get another one that's not related before I can breed them but is there not something though about not pairing up 2 BC - something about the chicks could be blind etc. ? Have I got this correct?

If this is the case what would be the best colour to pair that chick with?

Emmy