Sign in to follow this  
thezebman

Penguins Clean/faint Marking.

Hello my brother has a couple of pairs of penguins one has produced five chicks all have marking on them but one the only hen out the bunch,now will she produce clean birds or is it a bit of a guessing game with them.the parents hen is very clean and a big girl and the cock has some faint marking on him.

I'm sorry I cant help with your question Zebman because I have never kept 'penguins' but I think it may all depend on whether both or one of them is split for something else, but I may be way off line with that theory.

I'm sure some other member with more knowledge about that colour variation will  jump in and be able to help.

Emmy

Hi Craig , a penguin hen should not have any marking on her she should be clean . The cock bird should have no chest bar just cheek patches and side flanks .pair her to a pure penguin as you can get . Baz

Hello Craig,

it's very difficult to get penguin cocks without chest markings. Most of the time all the cocks have more or less markings. Sometimes after 2 or 3 moults, they can get clearer . Birds with a lighter grey colour will show less markings, but they will show less colour in the cheeks too.

The penguin hens never show chest markings, but sometimes they show tear markings. And again it's the same as with the cocks, you can get 2 sisters and the one is clear and the other one has tear markings...................you can try to reduce these faults by a severe selection, but nevertheless they will never totally disappear.Penguin is not an easy mutation .

Regards,

Michael

One of my Penguin cock birds has chest markings but every chick from him has been perfectly coloured.

I kept him because he is a huge bird and to be honest a few faults don't bother me as I'm not trying to show them.

It just goes to show the markings can be random to say the least.