Lee Pycroft

Lee From Bury In Lancashire

Hello to you all,

Just thought I would say hello and introduce myself! I have spent a few hours reading through similar posts to this and the other topics, which I have found very interesting and informative so far!

I to have recently re-found my love of keeping these wonderful birds after many years doing the usual, buying houses, getting married, starting a family etc etc etc....

I never reached the standards many of the members seem to have reached on here with regards breeding and showing  these birds.. I was simply bought  a pair as a birthday present around the age of 10 or 11... The 2 birds soon became 7, then 12 until my dad gave into my nagging and let me take over his garden shed in order to house my ever increasing numbers of zebra's! :p  

Despite not owning any of these birds for well over 20 years now my love of them has never left me and I always seek them out whenever I'm in a pet shop......

Well two weeks ago I get a call from my dad to say they have bought a bigger cage to house the family parrot and would I be interested in the cage????? Well my 5 year old daughter heard the conversation and hasn't let the subject drop! So after discussion with the wife the decision  was made to take possession of the cage but the choice of bird must be Zebra's...

Two have been purchased, the cage altered to house them, a suitable place in the living room sought! I've done some reading up to remind me of the important issues' on keeping them, even bought a book of ebay! :crazy:  

Although I feel I have some good knowledge of these birds I have joined on here to seek out further info... So I'm very sorry if some of my questions seem basic to some of you seasoned breeders :good:

oh, and I have bought a shed which arrives soon, wife thinks it's just for the ever increasing junk we seem to have!  But I think you guys can guess where I'm going with that hahaha...

Lee Pycroft

Radcliffe (Bury)

• Like 2

Welcome to the forum Lee,

I enjoyed reading your 'story'. There are quite a few of us that kept birds previously and then after a break came back.

Good luck with the shed too.

Andy

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum Lee

That's great that you're back to keeping zebra finches again

:lol: seems its a good job your dad bought another cage and your daughter listened in ;) -- that was a great opening for you to go out and buy them - (guess you would know your wife wouldn't say 'no' to your daughter :biggrin: )

Now when your shed comes you could always say to your wife that your daughter wanted a large 'Wendy House' in the garden and now she wants to keep her finches in it. :lol:

(Hope this doesn't happen to you :vava:  (lol)

Please Don't forget to send in photos of your shed

Emmy

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum Lee.

That was a really good read and I think you have something in common with a lot of our members.

Please feel free to ask as many question as you like as I for one am looking forward to hearing how things progress.

As Andy has said in previous posts take a look at the members map as there's one or two excellent breeders in your neck of the woods.

Good luck with the birds.

Gary.

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum Lee

That's great that you're back to keeping zebra finches again

:lol: seems its a good job your dad bought another cage and your daughter listened in ;) -- that was a great opening for you to go out and buy them - (guess you would know your wife wouldn't say 'no' to your daughter :biggrin: )

Now when your shed comes you could always say to your wife that your daughter wanted a large 'Wendy House' in the garden and now she wants to keep her finches in it. :lol:

(Hope this doesn't happen to you :vava:  (lol)

Please Don't forget to send in photos of your shed

Emmy

lol, i'll draw a line at painting it PINK lol...... Been having another read on here during my lunch, great info everyone, a big well done to all concerned! Looking forward to getting more involved with the site and my wonderful new Zebra's........Ooop's, sorry my daughter's wonderful new zebra's lol...

• Like 1

Looking forward to getting more involved with the site and my wonderful new Zebra's........Ooop's, sorry my daughter's wonderful new zebra's lol...

:lol:  :lol: :lol:  

Looking forward to reading your posts Lee.

ps what's wrong with PINK?  Think about it!! you do get Orange Breasted Zebras -Who knows if you paint it PINK you may just breed a new variety of finch instead of being an OB maybe you'll come up with a PB :o  ;)  

Emmy :lol:

• Like 2

Just quick update, shed has arrived and has been built! !! I'm just in the process of painting it to match the colour of my current fencing lol (OCD) ... Funds permitting I will make a start on paneling it out to make it more rigid/sturdy/draught proof etc... That will be next month as just had to pay out of daughter's 6th Birthday party ;-)...

I've been taking photos as I going so will start uploading them when I get chance! !!!

Hope your all enjoying the hot weather, can't seem to keep my zebra's out of their bath lol They're having about 4 baths aday at the minute, is that normal??? Too much??? They seem to have such fun bathing!!! ;-)

Bye for now!

Looking forward to seeing the photos Lee.

Been very hot up here too the past few days

The birds just love their baths. Even although the finches and canaries have a large water bath available all the time mine are even bathing in the water dish (drinking water :o ) that's out for the Chinese painted quails :lol:

I know what you mean about the cost of birthday parties for the children. I got a shock when my d-i-l was

telling me about what it was costing for my granddaughter's party. 

When I think back (long way back ;)  :lol: ) to when I had parties for my children there was  a birthday cake, a 'clootie dumpling' was made which  had sixpence pieces wrapped in paper put into the mix before it was cooked, ( no one knew if they would get a surprise in their slice of this) sandwiches, and cakes, jelly and ice cream, sweets and juice  then they played the usual games (IN THE HOUSE!)

The children invited  usually brought a present (not an expensive one ) but they didn't go home with presents (the party bags you get now) 

Now Lee if  you take a step back in time for her next party just think of all that extra money you will have  to spend on HER zebra finches :lol:  :lol:

Emmy

• Like 1

Hi Lee,

If you can raise the shed off the ground so a cat could access underneath, helps with the fight against mice etc.

Regards,

Nick

• Like 1

Hi Lee

Welcome to the forum

You will soon want a bigger Shed LOL

Good Luck

Clare

• Like 1

Nick H...Good idea about keeping the shed raised to stop mice etc,  It's currently 2 inches off the floor so that air/wind can circulate underneath to stop it from rotting!  

Claire L.....And yes I do wish I had a bigger shed lol.... keep getting further idea's on what I can do after looking at other sheds/aviaries on tinternet! Hoping to pop and see a fellow member on here soon and view his set up, had a kind offer from a chat called Merv who lives local..Again, been that busy this month it's just flown by, as to money out of my account sadly lol But hey, such is life!

Emmy,.. the party was on Tuesday, decided to have it at a local play centre etc, 19 kids, lot's of noise and fun had by all, along with a cake and birthday presents (and a shed) been a costly month! 

Finished painting the outside of the shed today, going to buy some brown sealant to match paint and fill in all the gaps where water could get in! Bought some tongue and groove panels, also bought some plastic sheeting and got a spare roll of insulation at had in the loft!  Lined one of the walls so far, first stapled the plastic sheeting to the side inner wall, then lined it with the insulation before panelling it from bottom to top with the T&G.... (look nice painted, but won't be pink)

Will continue with the rest when more funds permit, also need to add some leccy, and vents, because being in that shed this week has been like being in a sauna! HOT HOT HOT!!!!!

The shed I bought was the best I could afford, but the windows are pooh! Just cheap pieces of plastic with are supposed to be fixed in, thus not opening! So going to bin the plastic and get some glass and alter the design so I can open the windows when needed....

Once that is all done, going to line the whole floor with lyno, and the walls that will be within the aviary also  so I can wipe them clean.. As one thing I've noticed, even with two zebra's they can pooh for England can't they!

Speak soon everyone......

• Like 1

Hi Lee,

Things seem to be moving along nicely, I bet your really pleased with how it's progressing.

Keep us up to date.

Gary.

DSC_0239_zps7d5c347b.jpg

sorry, just working out how to upload pictures, these are our two zebra's..... The daughter has called them Rosie and Poppy despite me telling her the black cheeked one is a boy!  I'm calling him Rob :-)

DSC_0233_zps4f42e2a1.jpg

and this is our male (cock), Robbie! although my daughter insists we call her Rosie! Kids eh! Now I've seemed to have worked out how to post pictures i'll upload a few of my progress with the shed/aviary etc :-)

Hi Lee

Those are beautiful bird you have. Bet you just can't wait 'till you get everything fixed up for them.

Emmy

• Like 1

Hi Lee,

Your daughter maybe right, they both look like hens to me.

The reason why I say this is because both birds have no flanks. The black cheek grey would have black flanks with white spots.

Gary.

• Like 1

yup two hens

hi lee not far from you

merv has a cracking set up you will enjoy seeing it

good luck with the shed

you can pick some cracking second hand double glazed units on e bay for next to nowt

Dave

• Like 1

yup two hens

hi lee not far from you

merv has a cracking set up you will enjoy seeing it

good luck with the shed

you can pick some cracking second hand double glazed units on e bay for next to nowt

Dave

Oh pooh, too be fair since we have bought them all we have done is talk about the beak colours and how they seem to be getting more the same shade as the weeks go by lol so the daughter was right, we have two girls lol.

Dave, funny you should mention Merv, I went across to see him yesterday!!! What a cracking set up he indeed has... I wanted to buy half his stock lol don't think the wife would have been impressed :-(.........

Hi Lee

Those are beautiful bird you have. Bet you just can't wait 'till you get everything fixed up for them.

Emmy

After visiting Merv and seeing his great set up and looking at his many babies he has I'm even more keen to get the shed finished and start building the flight!!!! Sods law though, first weekend off and its a typical english summers day, pouring it down!!!

A few pictures of where I'm upto so far!

This is down the side of my house and what I had to remove, took some doing to.. I then put a concrete base down for the shed to sit on!

20140529_144610_zps5d46a393.jpg

20140529_144557_zps1417ead6.jpg

20140616_195630_zpsb259be56.jpg

• Like 1

I've painted the shed, waterproofed the best I can, plastic sheet on the back of the shed, at the minute that side of the garden has 3 foot fence panels which i'll replace with 6 foot panels to add extra security and protection from the elements!  But the panels I want (match the others I've bought before) are nearly £45 :-(...... Dear Santa lol .

Couple more pictures below of where I'm at as of today, a very wet and damp Saturday in June :-(

shedside1_zpsb85ef719.jpg

shedinterior_zpsf30b78cb.jpg

This picture shows what I've being doing inside the shed... I've put plastic sheeting against the panels (inside) then T&G over the top and filled the gap with loft insulation! The shed is becoming very rigid and water tight, I bought a few tubes of brown sealant and have gone around the shed filling all the holes or gaps in.. Again, to protect from the elements and prolong the life of the shed....

Still got lots to do, again, really time and money will determine the speed and progress of the project, but a start has been made!!!!

• Like 2

Hi Lee,

I know the feeling- My son built my  aviary for me and it was started in July last year and was only finished just weeks ago.

It was the time factor that took so long because he could only come up to my house on odd days, and although the roof is on the outside flight  it has still to be sorted yet but it was well worth it.

I know too what you mean about the expense- there's always something else you need to get :o  :D

I think preparing the site takes up a lot of time and energy too.

Its looking good - are you having an outside flight too?

Thanks for posting the photographs.

Emmy

Hi Lee,

I know the feeling- My son built my  aviary for me and it was started in July last year and was only finished just weeks ago.

It was the time factor that took so long because he could only come up to my house on odd days, and although the roof is on the outside flight  it has still to be sorted yet but it was well worth it.

I know too what you mean about the expense- there's always something else you need to get :o  :D

I think preparing the site takes up a lot of time and energy too.

Its looking good - are you having an outside flight too?

Thanks for posting the photographs.

Emmy

Yes, always some expense you hadn't took into account.. As I said to Mervin yesterday, although I wanted it all done yesterday I want to do it properly and not rush it through and then think afterwards " ******, I wished I'd done that,done this etc"

Yes I'm planning on an outside flight, but will need to remove 6 conifer trees first :-( I put them in for some privacy from next door 7 years ago, if I take them out now I'll lose that and wife won't go for it.. So once I've replaced the 3 ft panels with 6ft, I'll remove the conifers...So I've got to find the money for 8 fence panels which at nearly £45 each will take a while then I can think of building  flight........

I'm going to build an exit/entrance  into the shed but block it off until the day the flight is ready! 

The plans for now is just to get the shed/bird/indoor aviary room done, so it could well be some time before the whole project it done! Thanks for your interest, any pictures of your set up?

ps: re aviary roof.. Mervin made a good point re this... Make sure your entire outside aviary is covered so that passing birds don't do "their business" and it land inside your aviary and possible spread of deceases? ( something else I hadn't thought of) I was only going to cover half!  It's great this site, very helpful and informative! Thanks again..