My new BC arrived today.

I'm pleased with it :good: considering I bought it without seeing it :o

I think it is a fawn BC.

newBCJune10th2014_zps38644fe8.jpg

It was the only BC that they had

Emmy

• Like 1

He looks good Emmy.

You wrote he arrived today so was it by courier?

Also brave move buying unseen, guess I'm a bit skeptical about buying remotely (unless it's eBay then you can't get me off that site). Was he from a breeder?

Good luck with him, black cheeks are one of my favourite new mutations.

Lee

lovely bird, exactly the same in colours as mine that I bought last week... To say you bought it blind, you have done well! :D

Leec  you could say it was by courier but that wouldn't be quite true ;)
My friend visited this pet shop last Saturday and it was her that spied the black cheek cock finch, she knew I had been looking for one so she gave me the phone number. They sell all kinds of seed etc.etc.  in small or large quantities and they deliver in my area once a month on a Tuesday (£1 for delivery charge) The finches sell at £10 each or £18 for a pair - they didn't have any more finches available or I would have bought a pair.   I bought layer pellets too and they were a good price as well.

Apart from getting my finch I have now yet another place to sell my birds - if I want to sell any of my birds I've been told just to phone but Knowing me I'll not be making many phone calls (lol)

Lee P I think I was really lucky with that one its a good size too.

Hi Bee

I do have him in a separate cage. I always do that when I buy a new bird just to make sure everything is OK. He looks OK though- seems healthy and he's feeding well too.

Emmy

• Like 1

Hi Emmy,

He's great, shame you don't live in the sunny south, I have some very nice fawn BC hens :lol:  that I have been breeding this year.

Hope he does well for you.

Clare

Lucky you Clare :good:

Now you're making me jealous ;)

Once my BC hen is finished feeding her two chicks (dad was a normal) after she has a rest I'm going to pair her up with the new one. 

Not sure what colour her chicks are this time but next time I hope they will be all BC.

Emmy

Hi Emmy,

If she is full BC, all chicks will be full BC.

Any male chicks from this pairing should be normal BC/ fawn, so if you get a male form that pairing, I would pair to a fawn hen to get fawn BC splits hopefully :blink:

Or you could go on holiday and visit me and I can give you a BC fawn hen :lol:  :lol:

Good Luck

Clare

Or you could go on holiday and visit me and I can give you a BC fawn hen :lol: :lol:

If only that was possible (lol) I'm a bit of a 'home bird' these days :D

I've been told its not a fawn BC I've got -said it was a lightback BC and that a fawn BC (although it said BLACK cheek a BCfawns cheeks are really a chocolate colour not black. :unknw:

Thanks for the advice Clare I'm taking a note of that and hopefully I'll get some more BC finches but my own BC finc h is split neither of her parents were  BC but they must have carried the gene for BC.

Emmy

Hi Emmy,

Your new zeb is definitely a BC Fawn Male.

Have attached some pics of this years young coloured up Fawn BC's The fawn colour seems diluted in this mutation, which could give reason for the LB thinking!

http://s880.photobucket.com/user/Claretrx7/media/new12042014chicksLB019_zps8f144cee.jpg.html?sort=3&o=20

http://s880.photobucket.com/user/Claretrx7/media/new12042014chicksLB018_zps60739923.jpg.html?sort=3&o=21

http://s880.photobucket.com/user/Claretrx7/media/new12042014chicksLB024_zps6d0f3cfb.jpg.html?sort=3&o=19

To create a full BC both parents will need to be split, If your hen is showing Black cheeks and not just enlarged tear marks, Could well be a full BC, breeding to a full BC will clear this up for you. :blink:  But saying that some of my BC fawn hens have very faint BC's I only know they are full BC as I know that parents are full BC.

Hope this helps

Clare :)