Sign in to follow this  
Faracat

So Excited! New Bc Chicks Hatched.

My grey pied BC (in my avatar) and a grey BC hen have just hatched their first clutch.

I don't know if she carries pied or not, so I guess that it's most likely that the chicks will be grey BC's that carry pied. I hope they are good parents. *keeps fingers firmly crossed*

Hello again.

If you can see the chicks look to see if any of them have broken skin colour. (white and grey) these would more likely be Pied.

Andy

Thanks both of you.

i've had a peek in the nest and one seems to have a white 'tuft' but it's too shady and they're too small to see the skin colour easily. Hopefully as they grow i'll be able to get a better look. :)

I had a better look at the chicks today. I can definitely see two and one has pink and black skin, so it looks like I'm really lucky and the hen carries pied too! :D

• Like 1

Chick number 1 has fledged today. :D

Sadly chick number 2 didn't make it and I found him/her dead a few days ago. :(

I am thrilled with chick 1 though. He (I think that I can just see male throat markings coming through) is the first 'grandchick' of my favourite grey normal who is just a pet shop bird, but he's got something special and turned out to carry both pied and BC. I really should take a photo of him but anyway, here is the son and the grandchick. ;)

SAM_3829_zpsdd8c5178.jpg

SAM_3941_zpsc4391931.jpg

SAM_3938_zps2bd3df2f.jpg

Planning ahead for great grandchicks, I may have to go BC hen shopping. :D

• Like 1