Sign in to follow this  
paulm

Lightback Hen

Hi mate, Nice hen mate, I have a fawn lightback hen but only a normal lightback cock should I pair them up or should I pair the hen up with another colour cock?? cheerstam..

Hi TamYeah pair them up unless you have a better type Normal or fawn cock to pair the hen too.This bird is bred out of a Lightback cock from the very good Lightback line of Nick And Lauren Hall and a Lightback hen of mine,So a big Thanks to Nick for letting me have one of his fine lightbacks to breed with :)

I have quite a few now thanks to Nick hopefully i will breed some nice splits next year and more lightbacks.These are out of the same pair.lightbacks1-1.jpgPaul.

Paul,I really like this hen, how old is she?I also got some birds from Nick (Thanks Nick) early on in the year, but I’ve not put them down yet as they were quite young. I plan to introduce them with my own lightbacks in my next breeding program, together with some good quality CFW’s that I have bred, mostly hens?I also got some Normals from Dave Huntington (Thanks Dave), which I plan to introduce to my strain of Normals soon.I’ve been working on these types for the past four to five years and I’m hoping that my next round will take me to the next level I want to achieve.Keep the pictures coming.Gary.

Hi GaryNick has a very fine stud of birds and i they always seem to click with my own birds i did well with the Fawns also.Paul.

Hi Paul,I've got just one fawn cock bird that I'm going to put with a cream hen if he sees the winter out, he's getting on a bit, but still holds his own in the flight.Gary.

Gary i always pair for type first where possible,but you have to watch mixing some mutations a good example of this is pengiun and pied and i also keep a close eye on my colours not to let numbers of one of my colour drop to low where possible.I forgot to say all the lightbacks in the photos are unflighted birds.Paul.

nice birds paul very nice head features well done.gary hope the normals do well for youi would be tempted to pair your fawn cock up now to try and breed some moreive got an old fawn hen thats done well for me paired to a nice cream cock just hatched some chicks fingers crossedDave

Hi Dave/Paul,Dave the Normals are coming along fine so finger crossed they will be paired to some of my best stock.I'll give the fawn a go soon to see if he can still do the business.Paul don't you flight your birds between breeding, I do it to get them fit for the next round. It also gives me a bit of a rest as well as I find it easier when they are all flighted.Gary.

Hi GaryI dont keep my birds in flights but i do have some very large treble breeders that i made these are like flights when the sides are pulled,i like to have enough room to keep the birds part if i want just incase of any fighting,that way i have the option to sort out any trouble birds.Gary it usually the casr you end up with more CFW hens than cock it most of the time seems to be the case with sexlinked mutations.Paul.

Hi Paul,I have noticed this with the sex linked mutations, you can’t win, although I’d rather have plenty of hens than cocks, I use the excess CFW’s to put back with the lightback cock birds.I find that the losses are far greater in hens than cocks.Gary.

Hi Guys,Glad the birds have done good for you. Our light-back line has been very successfull both in the breeding room and on the show bench. From our original pair we bred over 20 youngsters, then a number of these offspring also bred over 20 youngsters. Luckily this year we have a number of usefull out-crosses to use, something we desperatley needed.Regards,Nick.

Hi NickThe certainly are successful and from the birds i saw you bench in the lightback class this season as high a quality as ever.Paul.

Gary, what would you expect from a lightback cock to a cfw hen. For some reason it is not in the ZFS genetic mating list, also what does a cock lightback to fawn hen produce.thanks

Hi Linford have a good read below there is something on lightback cock X CFW hen,

My friend Merv has asked if i could put this on for him as he is at work at moment and home late tonight he would like to know the following 2 Questions what do you get if you put together!Normal Lightback cock to Cream hen,Normal Lightback cock to CFW hen,mark
Hi there,Normal LB cock X Cream hen =Normal LB hens & Silver LB hens(Fawn LB & Cream LB if sire is split for Fawn);Normal/LB & Silver/LB cocks(Fawn LB & Cream LB is sire split for Fawn). Normal LB cock X CFW hen=Normal LB hens & Normal LB/CFW cocks.Hope that explains it for you.
P.S.Forgot to say that top pairing,with a Cream mother,the sons will also be split for Fawn,obviously,in addition to Light-Back.It is also possible for a cock bird to be split for both CFW and Fawn together....what isn't possible,is for a cock to be split for CFW AND Light-Back together....LightBack is dominant over CFW.Therefore,for example,if the second pairing had the cock being a Normal Lightback split for Fawn,he could throw Fawn LightBack daughters as Normal LB daughters.This is the reason that it is sometimes hard to get that many Normal hens hatched,as so many cock birds are split for sex-linked genes,i.e.Fawn And CFW!
Gary, what would you expect from a lightback cock to a cfw hen. For some reason it is not in the ZFS genetic mating list, also what does a cock lightback to fawn hen produce.thanks
hope this help :) mark

Hi AllHad a few young in a show cage while i was cleaning out and just thought i would share them with you.10-3-12.jpgPaul.

Paul, keep the pictures coming, although i am green with envy i really enjoy seeing them.Keep up the good work.Mark

Hi Gary Theres five in that nest and the first one hatched 6/2/12 so between 33 & 28 days at the time of the photo.Cheers mark i like to share them as usually im lucky to make a couple of shows a year if any.Paul.

Hi All

This is the last lightback of the year i suspect i had him in a show cage today giving him a good looking at and although not a huge bird i liked his short cobby shape and thought i would post a couple of photos.

29-7-12lightbackd.jpg

29-7-12lightback.jpg

29-7-12lightbacka.jpg

Paul.