Sign in to follow this  
Emmy

Surprise In Nest!

Both pairs of the BC I bought at Stafford now have young in the nest. For one of the pairs its their 2nd brood. their  first lot of chicks all died but this lot seem to be going to be OK.

The surprise I got when I checked tonight, although I cant be 100% certain,  it looks as though one of the chicks has white cheek patches when I reckoned they would all have BC since both parents were BC.

If I'm correct in what I'm thinking re the white cheeks will this have happened because - I think  they are pied BC.

Emmy

I'm beginning to wonder if the birds I bought at Stafford are pied BC??

The pair that have bred these chicks in the photo -the adult hen looks a normal BC (but I was told it was pied.)the adult cock bird is white!!

These are their chicks:

staffordbirdschicksDec16th2014_zps9c2c3a                       

It seems none of them are BC ?? odd colours too :o

Any ideas re the colours of the chicks?

Emmy

I reckon normal, normal pied and the third one looks like a fawn pied (badly marked). I've one like it shes certainly an eye catcher.

The pied in the middle looks like a bald eagles markings  :rofl:

Stephen.

Paul These are the photos of the parents :

Dad:

ParentMaleDec17th2014_zps3823d37b.jpg

Mum:

ParentfemaleBCDec17th2014_zpse2be6efb.jp

Their chicks:

Dec17th2014_zps2b9606a7.jpg

PiedDec17th2014_zps5d42373f.jpg

Emmy

This is the other pair I bought at Stafford.  I should explain the white ones were sold as a pair and the other two sold as a pair but I was advised to split them up when pairing them up.  Now I can't remember why I was advised to do that.  But I was definitely told they were pied BC and split for BC

Mum:

MumBC_zps1c53f764.jpg

Dad:

DadBC_zps24b7cd96.jpg

Chicks are still in nest and not feathered up yet.

Emmy

Hi Sarah

I like that one too but I'm very surprised there's no BC chicks. There's 4 chicks in the other nest and I've no idea what they will be.

6 did hatch out and I did find one chick dead in the nest a few days after hatching and removed it  but I've no idea where the other missing chick is it may be dead, buried in the nesting material  in the nest but I cant risk moving those 4 chicks just yet to find out.

Emmy

i hate it when that happens, i have learnt to tell by the smell of the nest (sounds weird but dead chicks stink!) usually i just take them out and gently search for a beak or something that resembles a chick.

it will be funny if you get the other nest full of BC's with weird markings on them! :)

Hi Emmy

The male Recessive white at the top is not BC or Split BC I'm afraid as paired to the hen they would of produce visual BC's, but on the plus side your chick will all be split for BC, the cock must be a pied too looking at those chicks, the Brownie looking chick looks like A very light fawn or a cream to me, so that would mean the cock split for Fawn and maybe even Cream, that would make him a 

Recessive White,Pied,Fawn,Possible Dominant dilute cock  :crazy:  :D

The bottom ones are Both BC though

Paul.

"Recessive White,Pied,Fawn,Possible Dominant dilute cock  :crazy:  :D"

Wow, what a mouthful! getting worse than budgie mutations haha :)

Hi Paul Don't know if I've got this correct or not- If I had paired up the two white ones together they  would have produced white visual BC chicks?

When those chicks in the photos are mature will it just be a 'chance'  that they will produce visual BC chicks?  Or will they have to be paired up with another bird that is also split for BC  for it to be a  visual BC.

Think next time I'll pair the white ones together to see what they produce.

Emmy

Hi Emmy

I Don't think you would produce any visual BC chicks from the white pair as that cock has been pair to a BC visual hen and not produced any BC chicks, this means he has no BC in him, but on the plus side it means he not related to the hen.

Paul.

Thanks Paul

Seems as though I'll have to get the paints out and give them a 'makeover' if I want a white finch with black cheeks. :lol:

Emmy

Hi Emmy 

You can pair one of those Grey Chicks to the white hen with black cheeks as they are split for BC and White and that will produce what you after with any luck  :rofl:

Paul.

Thanks Paul Will just have to have patience now until those chicks are a bit older and I'll try out that pairing you suggest. 

Just be like the thing for all those chicks to be hens :lol:

Emmy

Emmy,

That different one I reckon could be a grey Isabel,

So both parents are split Isabel,

The pied with not much white on could well be a good breeder, I've had piers like that and they produced 50 50 pied colouring,

Good nest there Emmy, well done !

Trevor

Thanks Trevor

I was expecting BC chicks but I reckon they thought they would give me a surprise and present me with a  variety of colours instead. 

Those chicks are getting more bonny every day. :D

Guess they will be another 3 that will be in permanent residence ;)  

Emmy

p.s. Re my other 4 BC chicks I noticed today that two of them have pure black tail feathers with no

markings on their tail feathers at all. Is this normal?