Sign in to follow this  
Emmy

Black Cheek Chicks.

1st photo- My other adult BC finches don't have the black speckling under their wings (flanks?) its more the normal colour and only the cheeks are black.  Would like to know what significance this black speckling has.

DSC01773%20--_zpsdteexmpy.jpg

Think this one is a pied BC?

DSC01774---_zpst1ridxcq.jpg

Thanks

Emmy

• Like 1

Thanks Scott -- from that pairing all 4 chicks were cock birds all had the black flanks- good job I decided to sell just one of them yesterday (think I'll  now keep the others for breeding. :D )

Emmy

Emmy,

There are two sides with Zebs the grey side and fawn side,

Whatever mutation you think of it will fit one or the other,

With BC it's a strong type and as Scott rightly says, to be correct it should have black flanks,

If it has chestnut coloured flanks he more than likely to be split fawn as this has interrupted the black,

For some reason fawn disrupts the black quite a bit ie BC Fawn (cheek patch) BF Fawn (Lores) and BB Fawn (breast bar) they all look diluted,

On the grey side BC is the only single combo that has black flanks,

So when you mix greys in either BB or BF with BC there is a stronger black gene to overcome the fawn,

I hope this helps,

Trevor

Thanks Trevor,

The parents of those 4 chicks were:  cock - fawn BC - hen normal BC -but neither of hen's  parents were visual BC but must have been split for BC. Don't have any history of the 'dad'

Emmy

'If it has chestnut coloured flanks he more than likely to be split fawn as this has interrupted the black'

I didnt know that could be the reason for non black flanks, makes sense I suppose. 

Good info Trevor!