Sign in to follow this  
Emmy

Not Sure What Colour This Is.

Was taking some photographs in the outside flight today and was surprised to find this one.

Looks like it has some orange feathers there

DSC01958%20-%20_zpsqprcpzlx.jpg

I don't have any OB but could this one be a BB split for OB

Would I need to have a pair that were both split for OB to get an OB without the BB? or would it need one of the pair to be a visual OB?

Maybe way off track here. :unknw:

Emmy

looks to me like a BB/Ob. You would need at another bird to be split OB to have any chance of creating a full OB.

Scott

Emmy,

The best way to look at this is :-

An OB is a recessive mutation, which means to reproduce a recessive colour both parents have to show that particular colour,

Or both birds to be split for this colour or one is visual and the other split, (with me so far) ?

If one parent is visual and the other is not split the young will only be splits,

If one parent is split and the other is not a less % of young than above will be split,

With both being visual it's a far greater % than one visual and one split which this has a greater % than both parents split,

After the tenth time of reading this Emmy it'll probably make sense lol

Trevor.

hi emmy its deffo a bb with ob showing through as I have some males the exact same that I use in my obbb stud to improve the colour. its a very nice male as well so well done

richard

Thanks everyone for the replies

so if I had another BB/ OB hen  and I paired up the two BB/OB then  It would still be unlikely to get an  OB chick.

After the tenth time of reading this Emmy it'll probably make sense lol

Just reached 5 and it beginning to make sense Trevor.

Bigger problem is trying to catch that bird!! :aggressive:  :lol:

Emmy

Can I ask a question please..

If they are both BB/OB can you get a single mutation i.e. just OB or just BB or are they always visual BB/OB chicks?

Thanks

Andy

If they are both visual bb then all the chicks will be bb. If they are are both split for ob then they have a 50% chance of getting ob from mum and a 50% chance of getting ob from dad, so a 25% chance of being full ob. They also a 25% chance of not getting ob from either and being bb only.

This is a useful resource -

http://zebrafinch.info/index.php/genetic-advisor/#

That's answered my comment  too Andy/Andrew123 ;)

Now I have another ?

How can I identify a BB/OB hen?  will she have orange colour? colour of tail feathers etc?

This is the one big problem with letting them chose their mates - no idea who the parents of that bird is.

Emmy

hi emmy

the way you can tell bb/ob hens can vary some show bits of orange in there tails or spots in there flanks but I have some splits that show both but also some orange spots in there facial areas and are darker grey than ng bb's hope this helps. if you are wanting to produce some ob's from the males then pair your birds to a ob or a ob/bb female that way you will produce all 3 colours with the last colour combo but only a small percentage of each colour will be produced and some splits

richard

Thanks Richard

Only problem is I don't have an OB/BB hen  (not that I know of ;)  lol) and I haven't seen any for sale either. I did have ten at one time and I'm just wondering  if the ones that are showing links to OB now can come from the ones I had. (the OB I had died a while ago)

Emmy