Sign in to follow this  
Aspen

Is This A Lightback Hen?

hi aspen

it looks to me as tho its just a fawn but split ob as it looks like there is some orange showing in the tail but like trevor says not lb

richard

very deceiving picture....is it grey or fawn.....deffo not normal grey or fawn as no tear drop....could mean isabel, could be split OB or maybe both but not LB. I'm on the fence!

Here's some more pictures.  She was definitely grey as compared to her fawn sisters.  She is definitely lighter backed compared to her grey brothers.  I expect she was at least split OB if not full OB based on tail and lack of tear mark.  She is also likely split BB.

What about her tail says that she isn't lightback?  My understanding is that they should have normal tail markings and a lighter back.

post-3279-0-70285300-1426566975_thumb.jp

post-3279-0-52416900-1426566981_thumb.jp

post-3279-0-99529900-1426566988_thumb.jp

post-3279-0-58986300-1426566994_thumb.jp

I aspen

with new pics I will say she's still a fawn but split ob and bb that's why there are no tear marks because of the bb she could also be split Isabel but not sure on that one at all

richard

She's not fawn.  In the third picture you can see her at the back compared to her fawn sister and her grey brother.  The color in the pictures is confusing. Thanks for your responses, though.  I learned from them. 

hi aspen

you do no you can get fawn in various shades from really dark to light and the colouring on her back and wings is to do with the bb and ob mutation that's in her

richard

Thanks for the responses!  I have that same parents of this one starting to lay again so we'll see what they come up with this time.  NG male and fawn female.  They have had both fawn and NG males and females, so he carries fawn.  The fawn hens were not white underneath (see picture), but the grey ones (including this one) were.  This is another reason - besides the color I saw in real life - I don't believer this hen is fawn.  If she were fawn and lightback, the other fawn hens would have to have been lightback (barring crossing over) and they weren't.

The only other grey hen is also very light with a grey tail. (see picture)  Not sure what she is - lightback and isabel combination is a possibility. 

So it appears my NG male actually carries two sex linked variations, so he can't have a true NG hen chick, but he looks NG because the gene that carries fawn doesn't carry lightback and the gene that carries lightback doesn't carry fawn.  Now, to figure out what the silver hen is.  

post-3279-0-86459400-1426832222_thumb.jp

post-3279-0-72294100-1426832226_thumb.jp