Emmy

The Odd Man Out!

Just had  4 chicks fledge today.  Parents are normal BC. and one of the chicks looks nothing like a BC or a normal!

Not sure if its a pied fawn or a pied cream  -it definitely has different colours in it.

Photos of the chicks:

sony%20camera%207th%20May%202015%202%20-

sony%20camera%207th%20May%202015%201%20-

In the other BC nest there were 5 chicks, 4 of them fledged yesterday but the odd thing is the 5th chick was not attempting to leave the nest .  When I checked on it  today it's definitely a much younger chick and it will be a few days before it will be ready to fledge.  I'm thinking that perhaps another egg has been laid later on after they have started to incubate the eggs.

Emmy

Hi Emmy,

Had to be you with an odd chick didn't it ? Lol

Have you a side on shot please ?

At mo it looks fawn colouring so the male is split fawn,

Once side shot might be able to tell more,

All the best,

Trevor.

Here's the  side photo you asked for Trevor of 'the odd one out' :D

8thMay%202015%20-%20--_zpsz3zmrr5m.jpg

Have another pair nesting in the outside flight and hatched out two but found one chick dead this morning -  reckon it's been too cold for them nesting outside - Lately it's been frosty in the mornings here :mad:

Saying that I also had a nice surprise this morning  :D -  there are 4 young chicks flying about in the outside  flight, still got their black beaks, no idea who the parents are, but they have  hatched out in the outside flight :o

This is another one I've no idea what colour it is -looks like grey cheeks when it should have been black :unknw:

8thMay%202015%20%20---%20grey%20cheeks--
Any idea what mutation this one is? 
Emmy

Hi Emmy,

Can you post a close up of the tail, as it looks to light be just fawn.

Are there three colours in the tail ?

Clare

Hi Clare

The first picture in this post is the same bird and shows its tail colours - doesn't look like the colour of the other fawns I have, a lot  lighter.

Hi Andrew its cage bred so I know the parents are both BC.

Emmy

A confusing bird! If it's cream one of the parents would have to be visibly cream or silver as it's a dominant gene.

My bc silvers don't get black cheeks until they have their first moult, so yours should come through with a moult. The bird in my profile picture is a bc silver and she has pretty much no black in her cheeks at all.

Thanks Stefan,

( Stefan is my grandson's name too :lol: )

Those two birds in the above photos are not related  -  but in each case their parents were BC.

(one  pair of the parents:  cock bird was a fawn BC and hen was normal BC, but the other pair of parents both were normal BC)

When they are older, if I pair up the two birds in the above photos , any idea what colours could they could produce ?

Emmy