Sign in to follow this  
Aspen

Slow to color up?

I have my first clutch with CFWs.  They are over a week older than a clutch with fawns and normals.  The normal and fawn males have their chestnut sides and cheek patching coming in well - very obvious.  The CFWs I thought were females - no color coming at all yet.  Then I noticed a couple of striped chest feathers and I caught one of them trying to sing.  Question - to CFWs normally color up a lot more slowly than other mutations?

Morning Aspen,

I have CFWs and I can not say that they are slower to colour. I have found though, that the cocks do the singing bit before colours start to show.

Would yours be continental CFW as opposed to European (?). If they are that might explain it.

Mine do seem to take longer to mature than other colours and I have had some nice surprises when grading them for sale etc.

Hope others will give their observations to you too.

All the best

Andyn

Following up here.  Don't think they are continental as the tail has very pale stripes.  I notice I didn't mention that the male was Black Cheek split to CFW and fawn, or at least he must be based on his chicks.

The one male is pied so he only has the breast striping half way and no real cheek patches - so I'll put that to pied.  But the other one has breast striping, still has the black smudging on the cheeks - no orange - and the sides are a faint grey with the white dots.  His beak looks red like the other males he is with, not orange like a female's.  He is in a large cage so is difficult to catch for pictures but I can try in a couple days if no one has any ideas for me as to what is going on here.  I'm very confused...

I can't claim to know much about genetics but if you have a Pied then both parents are carrying the Pied gene and I believe that also goes for BC

Norfolk Flyer is the member who you might be best to contact. (he's a bit of a wiz with genetics) Perhaps P.M. him direct.

Andyn