Sign in to follow this  
Aspen

black cheek and CFW

I bred a what looked like CFW female to a black cheek male.  No history on either bird.  The chicks hatched in September.  I got three fawn females, one pied, one CFW female and these two CFW males, one of which is also pied.  My question is for the non-pied male.  He has zebra striping on his breast, but no solid color there.  He has light grey flanking with white dots.  His beak appears to be red like the other male - who I know for sure sings.  (They are in a cage with 9 males so it is hard to catch this one singing for sure.)  The sister CFW to these two has no zebra stripings on her breast and she has the darker feathers on her head typical of a lot of poorly marked CFWs (like her mother).  Neither of these two had the darker head markings as chicks.

Questions - Is this a male for sure?  If not, why the breast and flank markings?  If so, why is there no solid chest marking?  If this is a split to BC male, why are there no chestnut cheek patches and sides?  Might this be a poor full BC CFW?  (The hen has a very thick tear.) Does anyone have other ideas on what might be in this bird?

Thanks

CFW split bc and CFW pied split bc.JPG

CFW split bc male 1.JPG

CFW split bc male 2.JPG

CFW split bc male 3.JPG

father.JPG

mother.JPG

I'm no mutation person but I'm wondering if this is a BC Pied CFW. The pied markings might have wiped out flanks and cheek patches like it does even on true pied.

What are the tail markings? that might help the more experienced mutation people work it out.

Andyn

The brother in the top picture is definitely pied - something which both surprised and disappointed me.  NOT what I wanted!!  But I don't think the second one - the one in question - is.  He has very pale grey flanking, not white like his brother, and his cheek patches streak back and are not cut off/missing like his brothers.  I am attaching the best picture I have of his tail.  Hope this helps someone help me!

tail.JPG

Thanks for the answer, Trevor.  I thought that CFW would have chestnut cheeks and flanks unless they were full BC.  This guy is grey flanked.  Am I totally out to lunch on this?

This clutch had fawn hens, a CFW hen and these two CFW males.  I wouldn't think it is possible for him to be a fawn CFW from these two birds.  Here's my thinking - The male looks NG but carries both fawn and CFW.  For this male to be fawn CFW, then he would have had to get the fawn gene from his father as well as the CFW and if that were the case the father would be fawn.  Is this correct thinking or not?