Emmy

Cockatiels have done it again!

My pair of cockatiels have done it again! They are not going into the nest box tonight and the three chicks have been  on their own most of today. Two of the chicks have food in their crop but although the smallest one has some food in its crop its a lot smaller and weaker looking -  so once again its onto hand rearing the 3 of them. I'm taking no chances on letting them die now. 

It's going to a busy time shortly I've also got 7 fertile finch eggs in the incubator and if the pair I had in mind to foster them isn't ready when the finch eggs hatch I'll have to hand rear them too:rolleyes:

56edb33a81582_March19th2016chicksremoved

Emmy

Hope you don't like that thing called sleep:lol:

Good luck with them, they are in the best hands possible:good:

How are they doing now?

• Like 1

Actually its working out better than I thought with the cockatiel chicks. I'm feeding them approx. every 3 hours starting about 6am and last top up feed around 10.30pm - 11pm. I have been putting two hand warmers wrapped in a soft cloth on the bottom of the cage they are in and cover that with a paper towel and then some 'sawdust' (It's not really sawdust but I've forgotten the name of it) So I don't need any other type of heating during the night actually they are keeping each other warm.  There is no need for heating during the day either. This is so different from the last ones. 

I see a big difference in them already

56f0760c27764_March20th2016-.thumb.JPG.5   

(Still to give them names yet) the wee one in the middle has now got its eyes open and that makes such a difference.

The finch eggs in the incubator haven't hatched out yet if and when they do that  will be a very different story. The pair I had hoped would foster the finch chicks  haven't laid any more eggs and are not going in the nest box. :unknw:

Emmy

hey emmy, want to see a magic trick? :D

*poof of smoke* only 2 chicks remaining.....and now my jacket squeaks haha :) 

they are sooo cute (im stealing the one with the yellow head) :)

wish i had the time to hand rear........actually.....i wouldn't be able to sell any if i did haha :P 

2 hours ago, SarahR said:

wish i had the time to hand rear........actually.....i wouldn't be able to sell any if i did haha :P 

Sarah let me tell you THAT is the most difficult thing to do - selling  them- but before I let any go I have to be 100% sure they will be going to a good home. So far I have been lucky in that respect and I occasionally get emails and photos from their new owners of how they are doing.

This is one photo I had sent to me and 56f128ce4d626_VinnieandArnold.....thumb.believe me the cockatiel is the BOSS in this situation.

(the dog had  been used to cockatiels before and before I let the young cockatiel go I let it play with a large toy dog I had )

awwwwww :) i wish my dog interacted with the birds like that......usually he runs away as soon as they get fully feathered haha 

at the moment i have 5 teils.....2 are rescues so going to a new home soon :) 

• Like 1

Just thought I'd give an update on the cockatiel situation. The  chicks are doing great and the two larger ones are now flexing their wings and like to wander about. Never had to feed them during the night!!:good:

This is (l toR )  Titch, Babe and Tosh (lol) 2nd photo taken today

.56f5452cbacbd_March20th2016-.thumb.JPG.5        56f5410836447_March25th2016Titch-Babeand

March 20th                                                                             5days later March 25th

Everything was working out fine but  there is always a BUT!! and this concerns the parents of the chicks.

I had a cockatiel nest box in the inside flight- I had put it in there a while ago thinking Cheeky and his mate Munchy would perhaps use it -but they didn't - This was going to be removed last night then I was going to  clean the cockatiel nest box that was outside. and taped it up so it couldn't be used again.

I got the surprise of my life when I opened the door of the inside flight to remove the nest box  --Bambino (the chick's dad) went into attack mode big style  he had never done that before! I had to use a perch to keep him away while I removed the box then I discovered the reason why! :o there was an egg inside the nest box and me being me I couldn't throw it out so the nest box is now back in the inside flight and I'm keeping my fingers  crossed Toots (the mother)  doesn't lay any more.

The other nest box in the outside flight has now been cleaned out but while I went to find the tape to cover the entrance hole by the time I got back the box already had two new residents  -Cheeky and Munchy the pair who hadn't looked near the other nest box that had been in the inside flight!  

All I can think is- :lol: it must be the Scottish weather to blame

Thought I'd post an update on my three 'babies' What a difference a few days make, this is Titch, Babe and Tosh photograph was taken this morning.

56facac29ae25_titchbabetosh.thumb.png.c9

Tosh the oldest one is now starting to peck at the millet spray.

Babe is catching up on the other two.

Emmy

(Thanks for the help with the photo Andy:good:)

You must be holding them to ransom to get them to stay still for a pic like that:D

Tosh looks very happy though so maybe bribery?:)

Hope they carry on as well for you, good luck with them.

( If I let my dogs near any of my birds they would eat them:diablo:, can't catch a rat that's right in front of them though:lol:)

• Like 1

Hi Clare

My wee dog has to be locked up when its feeding time for the birds just in case he thinks I'm fixing lunch for him;)

They do have walkabouts now:lol: so I have to take them out one at a time now to feed them and they  are trying out their wings too. This is Titch:

56fad734ca128_March29th20169.45amDSC0370

After they have been fed I give them a wee wipe down with a soft damp sponge and they love that.

Just one more feed tonight about 9.30pm and then a little 'top up!' for them before I go to bed and that's them until about 7am next  morning.

Emmy

Now that's more like a pic I would take all blurry:lol:

I really don't know who you do it, all that patience with feeding and the the weening:D

Must be very rewarding, maybe one day I will have that experience:)

they are beautiful emmy.....even if a tad ugly at the same time! haha 

im in love with tosh :D love his/her markings 

Thanks Clare and Sarah, 

Clare Re the photo being blurred Titch just wouldn't do as I asked when I said 'Hold it there !'  Too busy with the daily exercises!!:lol:  but joking apart seeing the width of the wings made me realise they are growing up fast.

Sarah my grandchildren say baby cockatiels at that age look like mini dinosaurs (lol) My description : it's like the story about the ugly duckling that grows up to be a  beautiful swan. ;)

Emmy

........my niece just says "ewwwww thats disgusting" to my baby budgies :P then as they get older she says there pretty :) 

i think i will have to find a way to come and steal tosh ;) 

can't wait to see them fully feathered :) 

• Like 1

They certainly are Ugly, when young:lol:

Looking on the Dino side of things maybe a Raptor, wouldn't want to mess with one nice and bitey:)

• Like 1

Well the 3 chicks are now move into a big cage and Tosh is actually climbing.  Yesterday was the first time all three of them sat on a perch.  Titch and Tosh are definitely eating some seed/millet but all are still getting the hand-rearing formula too. 

57016765011ec_April3rdDSC03744to(6)resiz

Another few days should make a big difference.

Emmy

awwwwwwwwwww......can i steal one? haha :P 

what you going to be doing with them when they are weaned? selling or keeping? :P

my baby budgies are starting to feather up now :)

Hi Sarah, Not sure what I'll do with them. one thing I do know for sure it's going to be VERY difficult to part with them but there  will be more chicks emerging  soon and I think I've finally run out of space :o The 3 of them had a 'walkabout ' in the shower room this morning- safest place to let them out to wander about.;)

5 hours ago, SarahR said:

my baby budgies are starting to feather up now :)

I think this is a nice stage of them growing every day you notice a difference.

Emmy