Sign in to follow this  
Emmy

Nail Varnish !!!

5 days ago I found one of the cockatiels had laid an egg on the ground in the outside flight  (this is the first time this has happened) So I went in and picked up the egg only to find, although it wasn't broken,  one of the other birds had pecked the shell and there was  tiny hole in it.

I decided to try the nail varnish trick and put a little bit nail varnish on the shell where the tiny hole was. (This reminded me of the post from a while back re all the things birds would use -lipstick  etc etc-it was a good laugh)

I let the nail varnish dry --(wasn't going to do this any more meantime, but once again;)- this egg found its way into the incubator.  :lol:)

For 2 days nothing happened then the 3rd day the yolk of the egg expanded, usually when this happens, although at this point you don't see any veins inside  the egg, just my opinion- it's the first sign the egg will be fertile, and tonight using the ovascope I found this egg is definitely fertile.

This is the egg tonight on the 5th day of incubation:

14th December 2016  (4) 1,2 3,,4 allthe same egg 5th day in incubator.JPG

No idea which bird the egg belongs to-so if it hatches I'll be starting  2017 with anther baby to hand rear. :D

• Like 1