ShelleyMick

Hello, just joined forum from Indiana USA

Hi, I'm Shelley! I am brand-new to bird keeping. I did research for several months beforehand and decided that Zebra finches sounded like just the kind of pets that would fit nicely into my family (husband, teenage son, two daughters away at university, 3 small dogs.) I am the type of person who leans more toward being a mommy to pets, so I'm dearly looking forward to picking out two male finches this Tuesday as part of my Christmas from my hubs.

Their cage and various items of bird equipment are already set up and ready for my new feathered "children" to arrive!

I think I may have read every book and article about Zebra finches I could lay hands since last summer, but I'm looking forward to absorbing knowledge from all the people here in this forum. I look forward to getting to know you all.

Hi Shelley, Happy New Year and welcome to the Forum.

Hope your two Birds do well and that you enjoy them immensely.

Ask away with your questions and I'm sure there are enough members to answer them.

Andyn

Welcome to the Forum Shelley. What  wonderful way to  begin the New Year but could I please ask why you are getting two male finches? OK maybe you don't want to breed them but  you will be missing out on a lot of excitement seeing them build their nest, then getting excited when they lay eggs and when they first hatch. There is a problem with that too though because it does become difficult to part with them when they have fledged.;)

These are two photographs of Shadow one of my zebra finches that I hand reared ( hatched the egg out in my incubator.)

This is Shadow at 1 hour old on the  3rd April 2016

3rd April 2016 Shadow  1 hour since hatchingresized.jpg

and this is him this morning (9 months old)  when he had a fly about in the shower room

resizied.jpg

(There is my Blog on here about the stages when I was hand rearing him.--(Blog is  "Hand Rearing Birds")

Emmy

Hi Shelley welcome to the world of zebra finches. Don't think you will only have two for long ,as we all started with that idea.