SarahR

Another year, Another story :)

Well.....This years season is starting in March/April for my dad.......But not for me! :D 

This year I will be focusing on Quail(chinese and cali), crested budgies, violet budgies, pied budgies and kakarikis! 

My season has already started with possible kakariki chicks (Currently have fertile eggs so keeping fingers crossed)

my breeding cages will be going up this weekend for my budgies and i will start pairing some budgies up :) 

Quail wont be until they start laying (If anybody wants any CPQ let me know :) ) 

With my dad focusing on his zebbies....he has decided to cage breed them while letting his canary, bengies and diamond doves breed freely in the aviary.

i'm 60% sure he will be trying to breed penguins, CFW and pieds.....i think haha

I will be attending stafford in march so will be on the lookout for a new pair of pied kaks, some crested/crestbred budgies and possibly some good zebbies

Here's to another breeding year and i hope my dad does better than last year (in total about 4 zeb chicks and 2 bengie chicks survived) 

i will also try and be more active this year...however i am a uni student and i never have much time anymore 

:drinks:

Well done Sarah and hope Dad does do better.

Seems like a long time since you were last on here and I've missed your Photo Comp entries.

it has been a while. i have been pretty busy with uni work and everything else going on....i haven't really had the chance to do anything haha

i'm SUPER exited!!!!

my kakarikis have 4 fertile eggs!!! (out of 7) 

it is now 1 week in with the hen sitting on them.....my guess of the average hatch day should be....VALENTINES DAY!! :D 

but i shouldn't be getting too exited as anything can happen between now and then....even after they hatch will be risky as the male is a hand-reared(apparently) ex-pet bird....and the hen is only a youngster so im not sure how they will react....

Mum is green cinnamon with a hint of pied and possible split blue

dad is pied.....monster :P 

20160410_120250.jpg

16466153_10154319722802654_2100036775_o.jpg

Hope all goes well for them Sarah bet the youngsters' colours could be a bit of a surprise.:D

Emmy

thank you :) sorry for late reply :P

not long now.....i know 3 are still growing...the 4th i'm not so sure on. 

i really do hope they survive, the mum is so driven to be a mum. 

i'm keeping my fingers crossed for a nice pied :) which i can hopefully tame :D

well.......all DIS for the kaks :'(  

she had a day left! bloody weather (even though they are inside)

really, truly gutted for her :( she seems to have gone really upset herself, poor girl :(

budgies will be paired up tomorrow hopefully. i will also be sorting out my "Stafford sellers"

Well.....since my last update......i have scrapped cage breeding this year now, none of the budgies would breed in cages so colony breeding it is! they are also mixed in with the kakarikis!......speaking of kakariki.....i now have about 8 of them....and still no babies :o!!

However, my budgies...are getting there with breeding :) 1 nest with 3 chicks in (hen is  now about 4+!).....then another nest with a first time mother in...with 3 chicks also! :)

then i have about 3-5 more hens on eggs (need to double check the nests and eggs haha) AND amazingly my Kakariki hen Tinkerbell is sat on eggs too! (she has a large lovebird nest......which she loves) 

My dads breeding isnt going very well at all....he is full colony breeding also....he had a canary hatch 2 eggs....both chicks died, a zebra hatched 1 chick, was a few days off leaving the nest but yesterday we found it dead also (not fed) but he has another hest with 1 zeb chick and another nest with 3 bengie chicks doing well...we hope....he must be at breaking point now, we have plenty of nests up for them, plenty of nesting material, plenty of food and plenty of space......(he has over 20 bengies, about 20 zebs, about 10-15 canaries and 3 Diamond Doves....oh and a lot of Chinese painted Quail).....if anybody could give any advice it would be brilliant....we did try cage breeding but the birds did nothing (for 2 months! literally built a nest and nothing else)

On a brighter note.....i am having small successes with my quail.

I loaded my incubator up with a mix of 4 californian eggs, 4 bantam chicken eggs and 2 large fowl chicken eggs.......out of everything......one little chick survived......only a californian!......so now i have a pet californian quail :wub: and his/her name is Dudley.

Additionally we found a nest of 8 chinese painted quail eggs with a week left by the looks of it......then the hen abandoned them...so into the inccy they went....with little chance of survival (they were cold, scattered and wet when i found the hen had abandoned them).......we thought only 1 or 2 would hatch.....we had to be proved wrong.....as i now have 8 stinking chinese quail chicks in my room!!! :help: along with dudley who is in his own cage.

and to add to my stupidity......i now have 13 californian quail eggs in the incubator.....and guess what....THEY ARE ALL FERTILE!! i am going to be crazy at the end of this year!!!! 

I have attached a few pictures of dudley and one to show how tame he really is :) however i do think he..is a she! :P also he does come out into the aviary with me.....but he hates it....literally wont leave my side! :)

19553197_10154733161887654_1644272894_n.jpg

19576447_10154733161807654_1727233639_o.jpg

19551530_10154733161797654_486620879_o.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Sarah 

Glad to know there is someone else  just as daft as me(lol) 

I'm forever popping abandoned eggs into the incubator.  I'm cutting back on the quails and had only one pair of Texan Whites left. found one egg in their hutch and was going to bin it then decided I'd pop it into the incubator and YES it was fertile but that's another story about when it hatched but its OK now.  Nice to read about what you are doing. Sorry I cant write more just now but I need to go and feed my cockatiel chick (Chirpy) still getting formula -  and then check that the 3  love bird chicks I'm hand rearing are OK for the night .  Will get back to you soon. (My computer is keeping cutting out so sometimes I cant get into the forums-  think I'll be needing  to get a new one soon:o)

Love your photographs :good:

Emmy

haha daft? its caring :D we sold all of our japs and i am mainly focusing on my californians :)

Dudley i didnt think would make it as when he hatched he couldnt balance....so a day of walking therapy and he soon got the hand of it. going to try getting him used to a bird harness so i can walk him around with me in the house :)

good luck with all your babies haha, i had to save one of my budgie chicks who had managed to get out of the nest and was near death (stone cold) on the floor....warmed it up in my hands then added it back to its nest and the mother has been sat on the it and has also fed it :) 

thank you :) dudley is such a little poser :D

just thought i'd leave a quick update while i have some time on my hands.

currently got my budgie colony down to about 20 birds, due to current issues i'm struggling to look after everything.

well over the cold snaps we have been having i lost a whopping 12!!! yes 12!! budgies in one night! with a heater! i wouldn't mind but it was mainly youngsters and older birds! this was a massive blow to me as i was planning on selling some and i lost a couple of my favourite ones :( 

with that being said..it was sort of a blessing in disguise as with me having roughly 20 budgies i am able to look after them a lot better (and not spend as much on food!!)    

my kakarikis now have a free flight of the whole aviary....still no chicks! however i have a female investigating the nest boxes.

additionally i now have 6 diamond doves in my room..........with a pair on 1 egg (fertile) so i'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed! as this will be a blessing for my dad....who still is having a bad season as we lost about 20 Chinese painted quails to a rat! so we are left with 3 now.

in addition to having 6 diamond doves, i also have 2 fish tanks in my room now, i used to breed guppys but moved onto kribensis chilid which...from 1 pair.....i now have over 70 fry from :) 

BUT the most sad news.......is my little man dudley........such a cute little chick.....such an adorable little character.......

What a shame i am going to have to put up with his crazy attitude and antics for longer! haha :) 

Dudley now lives in my dogs old cage.....at the end of my bed....he comes out now and again and curls up with me, he follows me around the room, poops everywhere and makes a mess! 

he is honestly like a parrot......but nips instead of bites haha. 

from the picture below you can see he is now fully in his adult plumage and a very tame quail! and yes.....i love him.....hes my baby boy <3 he will also literally go on anybody who wants to hold him and loves curling up in hair :) 

23632564_10155122774277654_5304466667395900858_o.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Sarah,  How time 'flies'  (much faster than the birds :D) Looks like you have totally spoiled Dudley but I don't blame you I do the same with my birds especially the cockatiels, but so far  they haven't reached my bedroom (lol)

That was sad losing the 12 birds but I know there have been sudden changes in temperature here as well -  I have heating on in my bird sheds 24/7 and one morning when I went in the water in their drinkers was frozen - that was a first.

I'm trying to cut back on the number of birds I keep but its so difficult to choose which ones to part with.

Looks as though Budgies are still your main birds. I hope you have great success with the kakaikis  -- recently they seem to be becoming very popular  here in Scotland as well.

I've just  had a baby zebra finch hatch out tonight (cage is in the house) This is the 2nd clutch from Shadow (the finch I hand reared) and Snowy his mate. If all goes well there's another 3 eggs still to hatch and I have cockatiels with two young in the nest and another one  sitting on 4 eggs on  the floor of the inside flight.  Now that's a  problem for me to solve when they  hatch out :rolleyes:

Must go now and give my baby cockatiels their last feed for the night  (Been hand rearing those 3- had to bring them in because of the low temp. in outside flight been hand rearing them since January. 

This is a photo of Timmy, Susie  and Pooch DSC06735.thumb.JPG.7280c20379e2fa0695d0a266516ce959.JPGapprox. 7weeks old now

If you have time please let us know how the breeding goes (good luck with the studies too) 

Emmy

I have tried dudley outside......with his parents but he didn't like it and they chased him, or maybe i'm just too soft haha 

the heating in my aviary is on and off as i can't risk leaving it on 24/7 as it's outside, i'm guessing it went cold just before heater turned on and with the elderly and youngsters not being as well "equipped" it just took them :( 

same with me cutting back, i'm having a serious think on weather to sell up my budgies, keep about 3 or 4 pairs or keep the current 20 :P  i'm leaning more to keeping about 3 or 4 pairs as then i can cage breed them in my aviary or have a pair in my room if needs be as im hardly at home anymore (always at my partners) but i am hoping to focus more on my kakariki as i love them and their different characters and they are more....unique in a way than budgies (not to mention not as noisy) 

sounds like your breeding season is already "flying" while mine's still in the egg stage haha, i'm keeping an eye on my doves and their egg, all seems to be going well, the amazing thing is that they aren't meant to be breeding as i was only meant to have them in my room temporarily....until there was space somewhere else in the house, whoops! haha, i know there are 3 pairs in my room but only 2 cages, so 1 pair get to breed while the others decide who to pair up with.

my dad still has his cockateil pearl and a new one called Rio who got given to us, we have given up trying to sex them as one is a lutino?...and the other is a pearl haha they drive him insane but refuses to put them in my aviary or another room haha! 

28169252_10155357987197654_1386680045_o.jpg

• Like 1

Just a quick update before i shoot off to tonight auction in wigan 

Sadly lost the Diamond dove hen :( we think she was an older bird as she was healthy, not skinny, not stressed or anything. male is going mad as he has "needs" haha 

Tonight i am taking 13! budgies!........yes.....13! it was meant to be 15 but 2 decided to pair up and so i am trying them in my room......its just one pair.....what harm can be done? :rolleyes: *remembers one pair last time.........40+ later* 

they have been in my room for 2 days.....and already mating and sitting outside the nest box.....i have to have luck breeding something apart from fish this year :lol:

This is leaving me with 11 budgies to work with.....but that number might go down again if these two don't breed haha.

they are a lovely pair too, a blue goldenface pied male and a grey exhibition hen :) .....dirty monsters are "at" it again while im typing this haha!

Additionally i am feeling a lot less stressed at the moment, me and my tutors have decided that leaving and resuming my study's in september is going to be the best option as i am getting too stressed and dealing with a lot at the moment but i'm fighting through it (sorry to get all personal haha) 

• Like 1