Nick1986

Hi to all the members

I will be getting 2 more rows of 5 when the pockets will allow but it's a good start. How long should I keep the hens and Cocks apart (cfw) before I pair them for breeding?

1 hour ago, Nick1986 said:

I will be getting 2 more rows of 5 when the pockets will allow but it's a good start. How long should I keep the hens and Cocks apart (cfw) before I pair them for breeding?

I would just start now if they are old enough. But mine are totally separate for about 6 weeks before pairing up. 

Your cages are looking good, where did you bolt the two stands together? Was it legs. (thinking that nut side would stop cage fitting in the runner if bolted in any other place)

you look like you are well on your way to being an addict like the rest of us:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:... as for keeping them apart you can not really put I time on it... they both need to be fit. we use the term bouncing!!!(very active back an forth perch to perch, just generally busy in the cage, cock birds singing there heads off)  beaks nice an deep in colour  feathers looking good. its hard to describe you will just know!!!! the birds will just catch your eye. BUT!!!!! don't rush them or it wont work..

I tend to put the cock bird up in to the cage they are going to breed in 1st for a  couple of days( hens can get territorial the other way round although I do know people who put them up together) when I add the  hen I try do it when I have time to just watch!!! best to make sure know fighting...... 48 hrs after I pair I normally then add the nest box( I part make a cupped nest for them to start work on) give them something to build with feed them well start giving egg food(just a little) every day or at least every other. I find mashed hard boiled egg seem to bring the hens on to lay( but every bird is different) in an ideal world you don't want egg for the 1st 5 days or they are usually clear... get them used to a daily nest check and try keep all your routines the same... as much as you can just let the them get on with it.... all this is just my way am not saying it's the right way it's just want my birds seem to like.. hope this helps and all the very best off luck.

Andy

• Like 1

Yes the top of the legs bolt together but I cable tied the lower leg bar together also to hold it together a bit better. With me being away the 13th may they would maybe hatch while I'm away would that cause any issues? Should I pair them in a weeks time so they are still egg sitting while I'm away? I have someone to keep an eye on them food and water etc while away

Amf1975 thankyou for the reply very helpful information as you say people may do things differently but the more ideas and advise I get from people the more it helps me with what to do...I get the basics don't get me wrong from aviary breeding but with cages and exhibition birds it's a bit different.

5 hours ago, Nick1986 said:

My cages arrived today so just about managed to get them built up before work

20170424_152647.jpg

Hi Nick, great looking cages.  May I ask where you bought them and the cost.   You can private message me if you don't want to post here. Thanks 

17 hours ago, Nick1986 said:

Yes the top of the legs bolt together but I cable tied the lower leg bar together also to hold it together a bit better. With me being away the 13th may they would maybe hatch while I'm away would that cause any issues? Should I pair them in a weeks time so they are still egg sitting while I'm away? I have someone to keep an eye on them food and water etc while away

Nick, it would be a bit difficult for an answer to your question. I suppose it boils down to the experience the person who looks after your stock when you are away. If they are happy to just Feed and Water then I would wait so eggs hatch when you are back home. Personally I make sure there are no eggs laid after about 8 weeks prior to holiday. My Granddaughter is very hands on with animals and birds but I'd feel happier knowing that she would only have to do the morning check and open up and evening feeding with closing up.(she also has a job) She has dealt with fatalities before so I'm content that she shouldn't have to be ringing me with problems that a less experienced person would.

I know it's quite exciting when you first start out. (been there, done that not so long ago :lol:) But as I said above, maybe best to judge it for when you are back.

Other's might have a different idea.

Andy

Thankyou Andy I was thinking the same don't think I would want any hatching while away. Enjoying watching and studying....still not 100% on the whites maybe my cock hen separation isnt correct. Definitely got 2 Cocks bit unsure on one of the hens I will keep watching hahaha  

Hi after a bit of advice someone not too far from me has a pair of fawn cheeks up for sale it's not something I want to breed but the cock looks a good cfw but would it be split for fawn cheek? I have attached a picture

FB_IMG_1493134702547.jpg

• Like 1