Sign in to follow this  
FinchSox

Female finch with male markings?

My mother's finches laid eggs about 7 months ago. There were 2 males and 2 females I thought. The 2 males got their coloured cheeks and zebra chest ages ago. Sometimes the grey female looks like she has zebra stripes under her feathers, but shouldn't she have got her colouring by now? She has no orange cheeks but has a speckled head (idk if that means anything). I posted this before and wanted to make a new post to add photos to. 

IMG_3988.JPG

IMG_3990.JPG

Hi,

The photos show a hen with what we call 'Cock Markings' which is chest bar in this instance.These would be a show fault.Some would/could also get pale cheek patches. I have bred one of each this year.

I'm also wondering if your pairs are related. The hens at least look alike.

So long as they are 10-12 months old or more they should breed for you. (younger females can and do lay eggs, but not really mature enough before 10-12 months to actually breed)

If you are going to try breeding again could I suggest that you only have 1 pair to a cage.

Hope that helps

Andyn 

They could very well be related. My mother had no intention on breeding them but the pet shop said it was fine to keep a male and female together, as long as there was no nest box they wouldn't lay eggs but the female did in the seed box.

If a hen wants to nest bad enough they will even lay eggs in a scrape on the cage floor. I had a pair nest in a scrape in the ezibed (equine wood chip) floor covering of their flight and brought up 3 chicks with all the other birds whizzing round too. 'Where there's a will there's a way'

Even without a male around they will still lay if nature tells them to. :lol:

• Like 1