Emmy

My Latest New Arrivals

One pair of my cockatiels had 4 eggs in their nest box - all 4 eggs were fertile.  I had to keep a close watch on this pair because they had a bad  record for not feeding their young.

The first egg hatched out on the 27th August and the chick looked healthy ( I could check without disturbing the parents\) so I had fingers crossed this time it would be OK.I usually checked in the morning but on the 29th I didn't get around to checking until the afternoon and I was devastated to discover that the little healthy chick hadn't been fed and it was hardly breathing.   I did all I could to try to save it I put the  incubator on  but the wee thing was too far gone-- if I had only checked in the morning I would have been able to save it.

I knew that one of the other eggs would be about to hatch  so I decided I'd bring the three fertile eggs in and put them in the incubator and I put 3 dummy eggs into the parent's nest box. When I was putting the eggs into the incubator I could hear a chick  chirping from inside an egg.

That night (29th August at 7.15pm ) one of the eggs hatched -- it's a lovely wee chick and I named it 'Titch'

Titch  29th August 2017.JPGThis is Titch- photo taken 11 pm on the 29th August when it was just over 4 hours old.

As cockatiels  lay an egg every 2nd day I reckoned the hatching would be the same-- an egg would hatch out every 2nd day, so I reckoned that the next one would hatch out on the 31st August and it did - 'Tosh' (new one's name :lol:) hatched out tonight at 6pm almost exactly 2 days after Titch.  Tosh was chirping from inside the egg too before it hatched. So if all goes to plan 'Toots' which will be the 3rd chick's name if all goes well should hatch out on the 2nd September.

About an hour after they hatch out I give them a 2/3 drops of warm coconut water- this is instead of electrolyte and I've found that helps with them digesting the formula when they first  start to be fed.

I do have photographs of Tosh but because the photographs  need to be resized and I cant find the link on this new computer to do that  I'll have to post them later.

I have just finished hand rearing Taz  and now I'm back again burning the midnight oil but Taz will be going to  its new home sometime next week.

Emmy

• Like 1

Little 'Toots' hatched out this morning between 7am and 8 am . this morning - and yes - once again I missed the actual  hatching.

All three are in the brooder now and so far feeding OK.

(still to work out how to resize photos on this computer Grr!)

Emmy

17 hours ago, Emmy said:

(still to work out how to resize photos on this computer Grr!)

Emmy

Emmy, down load a free programme called 'Pixlr', click on the 'launch web app' of the Pixlr editor, when that opens it gives you a dialog box with choice of where to get your photos from. Click the 'Computer' button and then open the folder on your desc top/lap top (whichever) that contains the photos you want to resize. You can upload singly or multi. Once the photo/s have uploaded to Pixlr go to the button near top that says 'Image' click that and choose 'Size' it tells you what size they are. Highlight and over write with 640 x 480. Then go to 'edit' (same line as image) and when ready save them, then save them back in you PC etc.(your PC should say something about overwriting the original, I always say yes otherwise you end up with two of same) When each photo is saved you give the 'Kiss' at the top right corner a click, you are asked if you want to save original. ( I say NO,)

Any probs contact me.

Andy

• Like 1

Many Thanks for that Andy,  Once grandson finishes 'tweaking'. between both computers I'll try that. At the moment  we're having a ''discussion'' ?? (he doesn't know it yet but I'm going to WIN lol) I want ALL my photos transferred to the new computer - he says it will slow my new computer down.:o  He's probably correct BUT I need access to all of them.:lol: 

Emmy

Miracles do happen I was able to drag this photo :yahoo:

This is Titch, Tosh and Toots (2nd Sept)     2nd September 2017 three in the nestnow.JPG

Emmy

21 hours ago, Emmy said:

Many Thanks for that Andy,  Once grandson finishes 'tweaking'. between both computers I'll try that. At the moment  we're having a ''discussion'' ?? (he doesn't know it yet but I'm going to WIN lol) I want ALL my photos transferred to the new computer - he says it will slow my new computer down.:o  He's probably correct BUT I need access to all of them.:lol: 

Emmy

Mine went slow so put all my folders on a memory stick which stays plugged in to USB port so can access straight away etc. 

• Like 1

How much does a memory stick hold Andy?  I have a LOT of photo folders and also Microsoft Word documents- Grandson said it would take about 6 hours to transfer the photos but I'm thinking he may be 'pulling my leg' saying that 

Emmy

Mine holds 32 gigabytes  but I expect you can have bigger gig ones if you need it. 

• Like 1

Back to the 3 new arrivals -- Titch, Tosh and Toots. this is them now.

https://youtu.be/sG0b2gbrEWU

Their eyes seem to be a bit slow in opening so every time they get fed I have bathed their  eyes with lukewarm water and its helping = I'm noticing  a difference  every day.

Guess these three are going to be some more  'keepers' :lol:

Emmy

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with their voices . Hope you are keeping well Emmy. We are fine here and have bred 6 nice cockatiels from the pair you gave me this was two rounds.

That's great news Dave.  Are you keeping any of them?

Sadly little Toots died- I had it at the vet to get its crop emptied and it seemed as thought it would be OK but it died the next morning but Titch and Tosh are doing OK and are out of the brooder now, but still not feeding by themselves yet. definitely keeping those two :lol:

Bird sale tomorrow and I'm taking 3 diamond doves and maybe some finches but it will depend how I feel about parting with them when tomorrow is here (lol)

Remember 'Shadow' the zebra finch I hand reared a while ago well not only do 'Shadow and Snowy' have 4 eggs in their swing nest (lol) but I've managed to put  a tiny zebra finch chick which hatched out in the incubator this morning into their nest and also the 2nd egg from the incubator which is about to hatch too and they are definitely feeding the wee chick and they haven't tossed out the other egg either.  Fingers crossed it works out!

Emmy

• Like 1

2nd egg (fostered) I put into their nest has  hatched out and they are feeding the new chick  too- now just waiting for their own eggs to hatch.:yahoo:

Emmy

(sold some  diamond doves today and also finches:good:)

Emmy

Hi Emmy still have the young cockatiels don't intend selling them at present. As usual got my dates mixed up thought sale was this coming weekend . Not to worry will get across again .Glad your having success transferring chick and egg ,shame about toots.

• Like 1