Sign in to follow this  
tesiukas

White cheek penguin

Hello,

I've started keeping zebra finjches a bit over half a year now and have 10 birds right now - 7 males and 3 females. As I bought my birds I looked for different mutations so I have allmost all my birds with different colors. As I bought each bird I was pretty sure what mutations iht had ex'cept for k my penguin. He is an adult male, and when I saw him at a pet store I though that THAT was an original penguin color, but when I checked on the internet it turned out my bird was different from a standart penguin. The first thing that was a surprise to me was that penguins do have orange cheeks :D. I tried to figure out what other mutation my penguin has, but I'm not sure, so I decided to ask more experienced keepers. His base color is normal grey andt, just like a penguin should, he doesn't have a tear mark and very fraint remnants of breast stfripes,  but his cheeks are pure w2hite and flank markings very diluted. The closest looking birds I found in the internet photos were of those called "fawn penguin", but I wondered if it really can be a fawn mutation without actually being "fawn",? As I looked for "white cheek" mutation I found a dominant silver that had markings very similar to my penguin, so I thought that maybe that could be it. But I also read, that penguins are not recommended to be crossed with silver because silvers dilute the base color, although the bird in a picture of a dominant silver that I found had very well expressed grey base color. So i'm still kind of confused. Help please :) (btw sorry for my english - it's my 3rd language and also my cockatiel helped me type the text a bit :D)

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

I'm sure there are members who would be able to help you. It would also help if you could post photos of the bird in question, but also include a close up of it's head and tail.

andyn

Here are the photos of him. His feathers are a bit ruffled, because my birds aren't tame and I had to chase him around the cage a little, but this way I could get the best close up of his colors.  I took these photos with my phone though, so they aren't that good unfortunately.

20180430_232000.thumb.jpg.9d1145682ebd9aa2499c9750cd36aa8a.jpg20180531_170322.thumb.jpg.c85c8deca46a7a50c11f5d624f40e19f.jpg20180531_170356.thumb.jpg.227782fdae9d421976e90a75d8cbaccc.jpg

20180531_170333.thumb.jpg.b3e05573f523ee46b89802fdb621a9bc.jpg

I'm going to have to pass on this one. I'm not into mutations very much. Sorry! I know a member who is and I'll drop him a PM and ask if he can help.

Andy