Alawi

Hello From Saudi Arabia

Good day everyone.I am Alawi AlKhadhrawi. I'm from Saudi Arabia. I've been breeding Zebra Finches for almost a year now. I've joined the ZFS early last year. Fortunately, I found this forum through the ZFS website and been looking at all the information here. Its very interesting and great to be part of this forum. I"m very excited to learn and share info about these beautiful little birds. I have a Software Engineering and Photography background and I hope I can help in any way I can to contribute to this website and the fancy at large. Unlike the UK, in Saudi Arabia and the Arabian region breeders are more interested in combined mutations, especially what is locally called a Full Orange Zebra Finch (BF BB OB) mixed with all other mutations (i.e. Full Orange Grey, Dilute, Isabel, CFW and Fawn). So, it will be very interesting to know what directions the UK and Europe in general are going towards. I've got a few pictures up on the gallery, it will be great if you have a look and give some comments. Very pleased to be with you guys.Cheers,Alawi

Hello Alwai welcome to the forum hope you enjoy i am looking forward to seeing your pictures i see you have made album but there are no pictures in there yet,mark

Thank you all for the warm welcome. I did add photos in the album Mark but they have to be approved by the administration. Hope that doesn't take long.I know this is not the correct section for this question but what do you think is the reason combined mutations are not of interest to fanciers in the UK? is it type and size? or something else?Alawi

Hi AlawiThere are a lot of person here in the UK that breed combined mutations and are trying to introduce size and type in them,mark

Alawi, Welcome to the forum, look forward to seeing some of your photo's, i personally don't show and i'm more into colour breeding. Just started a new colour breeding programme this year, i reckon it could take me 3 seasons to acheive my goal.All the best,Trevor :)

Thanks Mark and Trevor. I think the photos are now available to see. Let me know what you think please.It's good to know that there are breeders who are into color breeding in the UK. It would be great if color breeders achieved the same type and size of standard varieties. Do you think colored birds would ever have a chance on the show bench?Anyone has some ideas how to get the type and size of standard mutations?What I got from asking around was that the choice of parents is a very important thing to consider. Your inputs?Cheers,Alawi

In my opinion,the best way to improve on size and type,is to outcross to good sized typy Normals ,and/of Fawns (depending on what mutations you're working on).Pair the splits back to mutation birds,keep the best visuals(best splits are also useful,if they are an improvement in quality),and then outcross again,to big,typed birds again.Basically,as far as I'm aware,this is the easiest way to improve stock of any species.Hope that helps!

Hi AlawiWe are still waiting for admin to clear your pictures really looking forward to seeing them, Gary = admin is a very busy person so might take bit of time :) mark

Thanks Peter. That method would require a lot of birds don't you think, to avoid pairing relatives. But its an excellent idea with guaranteed results.Mark, I'm sure that Gary is very busy as you said, forum administration alone is a big headache not to mention breeding and other stuff. Let's hope it doesn't take very long. I tried to post on your thread but I was unable to. Good luck with the operation and hope you get well quickly. Take care.Thank you Dave, its good to be here.All the best,Alawi

Mark, I'm sure that Gary is very busy as you said, forum administration alone is a big headache not to mention breeding and other stuff. Let's hope it doesn't take very long. I tried to post on your thread but I was unable to. Good luck with the operation and hope you get well quickly. Take care.All the best,Alawi
Hi Alawiyou need to have made 5 posts before you can reply in the General section, thank you for the good luck with my operation,mark

Thank you Helen. I hope the other pair I have produce even better chicks. They are sitting now. In 2 days I'll know how many eggs are fertile. I'm hoping I can start working on the bird room soon. It's very exciting this time of year for breeders. Good luck to everyone.Mark, this will be my fifth post so, I hope I'll be able to fully participate in all forms soon. Take a look at the gallery and let me know what you think. I'm aiming for a Full Orange (BF, BB, OB) Silver Lightback split CFW with this combination (Cock: CFW, BF/ BB, OB; Hen: DS, LB, BB, OB). I hope I can get it soon.Cheers,Alawi

Hi AlawiI have now seen your pictures in the gallery very impressive colours all you need now is to get size and type into them good luck with your breeding program,mark

Alawi, I like your birds, nice pic's. The 3rd pic with 2 young on you mention one could be a BF CFW i think it's a BBCFW, if it was a BFCFW it would still have the tear marks of a CFW and or the black of a BF. The BBCFW has little or no marks even on the tail, no barring there.I'm actually trying at the moment to get a BBCFW,they have 2 young(8 days old), the pair are BBCFW x BB Grey.Keep posted,+ i will let you know what mine turn out to be.All the best,Trevor :(

Thanks Mark, I hope your early chicks make it for you and you get to show this year. Type and shape is the thing that is really lacking in the Arabian Gulf. there isn't much interest in that. As long as you get that Full Orange cock, you made it. Lets hope things change soon. There are some breeders who have imported English zebra finches late last year. We will see what they can do with them.Trevor, thanks for the kind words. As I mention on the photo description, that hen is surely a BB CFW for the lack of a tear mark as you said. From the mutations of the parents I suspected that it is Orange Breasted. And since only one of the male chicks is a BF, I'm hoping that this hen would be also a BF. She will surely stay for next years program and I'll see what I can get from her. Congrats on your chicks, your combination will get you BB CFWs but only hens and you will have BB grey cocks split for CFW. Good luck with your breeding and keep us posted.Alawi