Sign in to follow this  
jugglerjeff

Crested

hi , i've never really bothered with any crested but today i sort of came across one by accident ....i had a trip over the the wirral to pick up a job lot of stuff and amongst them was a really nice crested pied hen ..although a little on the small size the crest is really good .a bit like a gloster canary ...i have some sizeable pieds and pied whites to perhaps pair it up to ... so i was wondering is the crested mutation dominant ,recessive or is it the crest to crest bred scenario similar to canaries ..regards jeff...ps theres also in the mix a semi decent pied cock bird with no crest thats out of the same aviary that might get paired up to it (perhaps taking a chance that its crest bred)

hi , i've never really bothered with any crested but today i sort of came across one by accident ....i had a trip over the the wirral to pick up a job lot of stuff and amongst them was a really nice crested pied hen ..although a little on the small size the crest is really good .a bit like a gloster canary ...i have some sizeable pieds and pied whites to perhaps pair it up to ... so i was wondering is the crested mutation dominant ,recessive or is it the crest to crest bred scenario similar to canaries ..regards jeff...ps theres also in the mix a semi decent pied cock bird with no crest thats out of the same aviary that might get paired up to it (perhaps taking a chance that its crest bred)
Hi Jeff....I have crested budgerigars,and the gene is dominant,but with budgies,crest-bred is important,in the breeding program.I'm not at all sure about the situation with other birds,such as canaries,but what I can tell you,is that from what I've learned,the crested gene in finches(zebras and Bengalese),is that a Normal crest-bred bird,but without a crest,is of no more use in breeding cresteds,than a Normal that is crest-free!So don't bother about keeping anything simply because it's crest-bred...it will not help in the crest breeding program whatsoever!But good luck with it!A good crest IS beautiful!