Punky

Crested X Fawn, Unfertile Eggs

Hello,

One of my zebra couple (Normal crested/black breasted,fawn cock x fawn/black breasted hen) mate each others in early february so after 2 weeks of preparation I've placed the nest.(sorry for my very bad english, I know, it sucks, but forgive me I'm french)

After 2 weeks of holidays when I came back home they had 7 eggs in it. But even if they had mate a lot of times the eggs were unfertile. (I've wait the required time before candling.)

I explain myself: inside each eggs the "yellow part" (I don't know how to say that in english) wasn't stated. It moved inside the egg as a bubble of air in a ball full of water.

Does anybody know why ?

I just add a picture of the crested, and then the couple.

dsc07101e.jpg

dsc0613m.jpg

hello punky,

there can be many reasons for the eggs to be infertile. Did u put a bowl of water for the couple? Zebra finches like to bath everyday in water and the water from the bath is very necessary for keeping the eggs moist. If eggs dont get moisture, they don't hatch. 

This can be one of the reason. I will suggest you to give them another go. If the eggs are not fertile again, then there might be a problem with your male probably. Crest X Crest zebra finches are sometimes infertile. Your male might be a crest x crest offspring. 

Try changing the male if the problem persists.

Adil

Yes, they had a bath. And they still have one now. They have made 6 other eggs, 5 of them are fertile. I'm waiting for them to hatch.

Thank you Kerry :)

I'm going to study English at the University next year, so this forum is really helping me, even though it's hard to know all specific terms in zebrafinches breeding

I imagine it must be very difficult to understand all the different terms used but you do a great job. I would never have known you were french if you hadn't told us. You write better than a lot of english people i know, including myself at times  :laugh:

Kerry

Kerry said:

I would never have known you were french if you hadn't told us. You write better than a lot of english people i know, i

I agree with Kerry :D

Emmy

I'm going to study English at the University next year

What University will you be going to?

Good luck with the eggs When do you think they will  hatch? Please let us know what happens?

Emmy

I'll be going to Perpignan, in the South of France to make a "license d'anglais", 2 years studying English language, british and american history. I don't know what I'm going to do later, maybe study to become a translator.

I think they'll hatch in a week. I'll give you news and photographs from the chicks. I hope I'll have crested ! (I don't really know if they are /black breasted or not, and if the cock is /fawn.) I hope so ! I would enjoy breeding black breasted, fawn, black breasted fawn and why not crested black breasted (in normal or fawn).

I cant wait to see pictures. Black breast and creasted are two of my favourites so i'm hoping yours produce some just so i can see the pictures :p

Kerry

A third one is born this morning, I'll post photographs this week end.

I noticed their skin colour is quite pale so they might be fawn chicks... We'll know that next week if everything's okay.

It's just great when you happen to be there the moment the eggs are hatching. It's a litle miracle.

Two more to go? :good:

Emmy

Thanks for posting the photos. You tend to forget just how tiny they are when they first hatch out. Just marvellous!

Hope the other eggs hatch out.

I agree, they are lovely ! I've left home for easter (thursday to monday evening) so I'll let you know what happened on tuesday and take pictures ! Tuesday should be the day I'll put the closed ring on the two older chicks. It would be the first time I do this, I'm so excited ! Can't wait to see how they look after 4 days without seeing them.

Thank you for your replies, I hope my post is understandable.

And still happy easter to all of you.