Sign in to follow this  
Emmy

Identifying Sexes

At the moment I have one pair of  adult pieds and it has been easy to identify the hen from the cock -(he has orange cheek patches) They are in a cage on their own.

The 2 young pieds (the other two were their parents) are showing no orange cheek patches but both  are beginning to show some speckled (pale orange) feathers on the chest near the flanks. Odd thing was which I didnt think possible at  their age is (they hatched out 3/2/13)I found an egg on the bottom of their cage this morning!! They are the   only three young birds in this cage,  the other one is a normal cock -he's showing orange cheek patches.

Is it usual to  find them laying at this age? and is it common to find this colouring with pieds? 

Emmy

I found another egg on the floor of this cage today.

Be  grateful if  someone would please have a look at the photographs I took tonight to see which one you think is the hen -they both have the orange speckled feathers on their chest.

Pied_chick_March_22_2013_1.jpg

Pied_Chick_March_22_2013_2.jpg

Emmy

Hi emmy,

They are lovely looking birds, at a guess i would say the top one to be a female and bottom one to be a male. Its hard to tell with pieds sometimes, the beak should be red for the males but im not 100% with pieds.

Chris