Clare L

Silver Isabel Chicks ?

Fledged At last.

The confusion is there from a cream hen & Fawn/OB cock.

I'm starting to think they are carrying a lot of splits betweem them.

They look the same ish but one is slightly lighter, the others in the nest are fawn and OB Normal.

I Also think that the chick in the bottom pic is OB as well.

bth_NewCreamampFawnChicks23042013018_zps

bth_NewCreamampFawnChicks23042013009_zps

Are they in fact Silver Isabel chicks?

The Hen comes from a dominant silver line, and in her first clutch produced an Isabel chick the OB comes from both sides.

Any advice would be great :fool:

Dont think You can get split siler because it is a dominant mutation,

How ever isabel can be a split mutation.

Although i think you have some creams? But could be wrong! You'll have to see what they moult out to be!

Josh

Hi Clare

sorry cant answer your question but just like to say they are lovely chicks :)

Emmy

Is a cream a Silver Fawn? If so, then i think it is possible that some chicks could be Silver. Isabels shouldnt have tear marks so i'm not sure that thats what they are. However, that being said, two of my isabels have very faint tear marks.

In other words, i dont have a clue what they are, but they are very pretty :crazy:

Kerry

HI Josh,

I think silvers can be dominant or recessive.

I do think you are right will have to be patient and wait for them to moult ;)

Hi Kerry,

One of my Isabel chicks has faint tear marks to, you're right they shouldn't have them.

I'm just going to have to wait :ph34r:

My first Isabel chicks are 9 weeks old and have just started to moult...

post-833-0-98804800-1366972251_thumb.jpg

As you can see, he has tear marks. They are a lot clearer than i remember them being :lol: So maybe yours are Isabels too?

Kerry

Clare,

First of all i would say they are not creams, due to the colour of the beak. This tells me they come from the grey side (bit like me). A cream would have a horn coloured beak.

Techically no, a cream is a cream, but to get one you can put a silver with a fawn to get cream. Sorry to be picky. Also to get silver you can put a cream with a normal, but it's not a cream normal.

I wouldn't have thought they are silvers due to the fact only the dominant form is about now, the ressesive form has fazed out as far as i know, this type were nicknamed  a blue zeb due to the grey colouring being of a blueish tinge.

My guess is that both parents are split for grey isabel. It might sound strange to you but 2012 i had BB norm x CFW they had 3 broods, 2nd brood threw out 1 Isabel and 3rd brood threw out 2 Isabel, so this can lay dormant for years until the right match comes along.

After all that i might be totally wrong, but i think i'm there abouts,

All the best,

Trevor :)

Hi Clare

The pairing you describe is cream hen & Fawn/OB cock well from this pairing you would not produce Normal birds as Cream is a dilute Fawn and Fawn x Fawn= 100% Fawns chicks unless of course there are any other such mutations split in the parents such as Isabel then you would get Fawn Isabels as well but still fawn based not Normal.

You also said " the others in the nest are fawn and OB Normal" well from the pair described you would not breed a OB visual chick unless the pair are both either carrying or visual in OB and one chick would not be Normal in colour, are you sure of the parents or moved any eggs?

From the looks of it I would say the chicks are silvers which do differ in shade somewhat this could mean your cream hen has been busy with a Normal based coloured cock.

Paul.

Hi Trevor,

They are in än aviary.

When Im next on my pc Will post a full history.

Which Could help

Clare

• Like 1

Right here goes with the update.

Below is a pic of the hen that has produced these chicks,  the BC LB you can see is a sister to the cream hen same clutch and parents. 

bth_CameraNew29082012010-1_zps333ffa9b.j

The pic below shows the above hens parents, plus one of this years chicks.

bth_New07042013037_zpsadb672a3.jpg

The Below pic is the father of the above hen, He was bought from a breeder that classed him as a Fawn Dominant Silver/Isabel OB & BB,

the hen that paired this was BC normal/Isabel.

bth_new31082012camera056_zps7384b37f.jpg

This is as far as I can go with this line as the third pic is my only zeb carrying silver, and he only had on clutch, the Isabel hen being amongst them.

Clare,

Ok with them being in the aviary, things are different, i reckon as Paul said the normal male has probually paid a visit to that pair. But it's extremely differcult in an aviary to pin down the exact parents of birds.

2012 i had a BB Penguin come out and haven't a clue who's mum or dad. That's the bonus when cage breeding.

Sorry can't be more exact,

Trevor :)

Hi Clare

I don't think the family line is as clear cut as it first seems.

But as I say to fawn based birds can not produce Normals.

Paul.

Hi Trevor & Paul,

Thanks for your help with this,

It explains why I have silvers, in this clutch.

And so it would seem that my cream hen has indeed been up to no good :fool:

Most of my normal cocks are split for BB, OB or both, lack of understanding mutations when I got my first Zebs.

But in their first clutch they did produce an Isabel, would this make her a fawn Isabel? How could I tell?

Kerry, It seems they sneaky affair did happen :lol:

HI Clare

If an Isabel chick has been produced the pair that produced it must be either both visual or splits for Isabel as it is recessive.

Paul.

Thanks Paul,

The hen comes from a Isabel producing line so that makes sense for her to be split.

I think to find out for sure if the fawn cock is split Isabel, I will have to bring them in to breed, and see what happens <_<  

They have had two clutches already so will give them a bit of a break first :biggrin: