Sign in to follow this  
apj

Could This Be A Penguin!

I purchased what i thought was a penguin female a while back and put out in the aviary.......well to my surprise i have 2 identical young and this is one of them.......Not sure who the dad is at the mo...

post-43-0-76445300-1370357538_thumb.jpg

I agree, it is a penguin, but in my opinion it is a cock !

It has some zeb'markings on  the breast...........and i can see a very little orange color in the cheek (tear drop area) !

And the color of the beak is dark red !

To be a good quality penguin it should have orange cheeks and orange flanks and a darker grey color all over the head and the back. Only the feathers of the wings should show a little bit of white.

.............but if you say it's a female....................i shall be wong.

Hi Dave,

we have a lot of bad penguins either up here :) ...........especially hens with a tear drop, with markings in the flanks or with grey feathers in the breast.

But hens with zeb'markings in the breast, i have never seen that .

Well now i have :biggrin: .

Michael

I think its a cock! it has been singing.........Are you saying good or bad penguin? for a good one what do i need.............thanks

I would pair it to a big ( with a large round head) normal .............the youngsters will all be normals/penguin.

A normal, because that will bring you a deeper grey color on the head and on the back and more orange color in the cheeks.

A big one because you will get more size and a better head shape.

Then pair the youngsters back to a penguin or to another normal/penguin (from another breeding line).

Michael

• Like 1

Looks to be a hen to me carrying some cock bird makings this is quite a common fault when trying to get clean penguins

Ryan