Lee Pycroft

Lee From Bury In Lancashire

go for it fella. you know I don't aviary breed I cage breed. an getting good exhibition stock of any mutation is not the easiest thing to do at any time of year.. good luck on the black cheek front!!!! you will get there in the end.....

13 minutes ago, amf1975 said:

go for it fella. you know I don't aviary breed I cage breed. an getting good exhibition stock of any mutation is not the easiest thing to do at any time of year.. good luck on the black cheek front!!!! you will get there in the end.....

cheers matey, fingers crossed i can breed some decent sized black cheeks and go from there! Will still keep an eye out for the odd bird, be it a hen or cock bird. :)

Hi Lee,

Why not use splits, I know there not ideal, but any hens of the right colour can be paired off.

I bought a LB Male and paired him to a LB Hen, and ended up with a complete surprise of 5 x CFW hens, 2 of which were full BC, the rest split BC, also a BCLB Male plus two split BCLB Males, they reared 8 chicks from  one nest.

They weren't exhibition but not pet shop either.

Worth a try??

Good Luck

Clare

• Like 1

we need to stop mentioning BC Cfw on Lee's posts he comes out in cold sweats at just the word!!!! anyone would think we are trying to give him a complex. LOL 

• Like 2

I did offer to let 2 of mine fly down to him - :lol: (with the wind here at the moment they would have arrived in no time at all.):D

Emmy

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Clare L said:

Hi Lee,

Why not use splits, I know there not ideal, but any hens of the right colour can be paired off.

I bought a LB Male and paired him to a LB Hen, and ended up with a complete surprise of 5 x CFW hens, 2 of which were full BC, the rest split BC, also a BCLB Male plus two split BCLB Males, they reared 8 chicks from  one nest.

They weren't exhibition but not pet shop either.

Worth a try??

Good Luck

Clare

Hi Claire,

That's what i'm trying at the minute, both pairs that I've paired up are all split for black cheek! All 4 birds are a decent size and colour's. Any babies would have the black cheek in them hopefully! The better ones of these babies I will keep and breed/pair the babies from pair A with babies from pair B etc. 

Going to keep on the look out for any black cheeked birds and introduce them if and when I get them (IF). The main aim for me this breeding season is to try and get the black cheek gene into my stock. I'm aware it's a long process, so need to make a start somewhere! Not ideal using splits but better than nothing. Will update on here the developments either positive or negative.

So if anyone knows of any black cheeked birds, hens or cocks, please let me know.:)

4 hours ago, amf1975 said:

we need to stop mentioning BC Cfw on Lee's posts he comes out in cold sweats at just the word!!!! anyone would think we are trying to give him a complex. LOL 

:P:help::help:

Hi Lee,

Notice you say you are using both parents as splits, although you could get full BC or split BC you could also get chick without any BC.

The only way to guarantee at least all of them will be split is that one of the parents is a full BC.

How far would you travel for these birds, I will keep a look out for you, but I am a long way from where you are.

I will be going to a place soon where the last time I was there they had BCCFW, they were a good size to, not quite exhibition, but not shabby either, came home with some nice zebs.

Good luck in your search, and breeding.

Clare

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Clare L said:

Hi Lee,

Notice you say you are using both parents as splits, although you could get full BC or split BC you could also get chick without any BC.

The only way to guarantee at least all of them will be split is that one of the parents is a full BC.

How far would you travel for these birds, I will keep a look out for you, but I am a long way from where you are.

I will be going to a place soon where the last time I was there they had BCCFW, they were a good size to, not quite exhibition, but not shabby either, came home with some nice zebs.

Good luck in your search, and breeding.

Clare

Thanks Claire, i'm willing to travel for the right bird but finding them is proving difficult! :mellow: 

I thought once a bird has the black cheek gene in it, it will always be passed onto any chicks as I thought it was genetic/recessive?  

Hi Lee,

BC is a recessive gene, so to guarantee this is continues you would need a full BC x a split BC, similar to BB or OB mutations.

If both parents are splits it can go three ways, full, split or no mutation, but at least if one is full and one split you will get guaranteed splits or full for the mutation you are after.

For what I am after I have used full to split that way I know when repairing I will be close to getting what I want, it does work but takes a long time and a lot of patience.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

If I do see anything that might interset you I will let you know.

Clare

• Like 1

Clare, you're not from me, I've usually got birds to go. Let me know if there's anything in particular that you're after I might be able to help. What zebs do you keep?

Hi Andrew,

I keep all sorts of colours, mainly aviary bred, my interest is in Fawns though, I have a very soft spot for them, but specifically a BFBC Fawn hen would be very nice, but at the moment I am trying to get some size into them, the ones I have are not small i.e pet shop size, but could do with being a bit bigger.

Where are you as it would be nice to know someone else in this area, it seems very sparse for breeders in the South East.

Thanks for the reply.

Clare

I might be able to do a bfbc grey I've got a nest full just fledged, I don't breed much fawn. I've got one lovely pair of fawns but that's all - and so far they won't lay. There are a few fawns in the sale cage at the moment a bb hen and a split bb cock and a nice big hen, possibly split for ob. I'm mainly interested in bc, bb and bf. I'm just near cranbrook, I am  on the members map. Just keep going north from hastings.

Hi Andrew,

You, really are quite close, looking to move my zebs this year so any breeding will be minimal, yet again.

I have a BFBC male x Normal/BC hen at the moment( not 100% on the hen being BC though), they have two eggs but not expecting these to be fertile, second round should be good.

Some of the other pairings I have  are OBBBBF Fawn Hen to BB Fawn Male,

BFBBBC normal male x BC Fawn Hen

CRBBBFBC male x Cream/BCBB Hen

These are early pairings that have just been done as I am late this year I still have more to do, so come summer could have some nice chicks out, all being well,

would be good to meet up at some point maybe?

As you can see I am crossing some of my normals with fawn to get the splits for later breeding, as currently this is my only option.

Clare

Hi Andrew,

That would be good, maybe when the weather picks up a bit, so we're not getting wet or freezing cold:D

Might even have made a start the new on the new set up.

So this great plan of mine, turns out not so great! :(

Brought 2 pairs inside and put into two breeding cages! all birds split for BC. 

In the outside aviary, I put some nest boxes in for them with the idea of replacing any eggs they lay with eggs from my split for BC pairs. Hopefully increasing the number of raised split for BC chicks. Great idea i thought, the birds in the aviary all start nesting etc, then the eggs started to appear.

Very annoyingly my two pair of split for BC birds laid how many eggs? wanna guess? NONE! NOWT! ****** all! Not even one! :diablo:  

The birds outside in the cold aviary have laid approx 40 plus eggs :vava: 13 have hatched so far, 11 survived, just rung 3 today!!! So got loads of CFW's babies :shok: on the go but not a ruddy one from my two pairs in the nice warm cosy back bedroom! God give me strength! :cray:

Hi Lee,

All joking aside, that is a real shame, but give them a second go you never know.

Mine are being very slow this year all round aviary and cages.

But I am very short on hens, so am off on a hen hunt this weekend, to try and improve things for my zebs.

I do hope you have some luck soon:)

All the best

Clare

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Clare L said:

Hi Lee,

All joking aside, that is a real shame, but give them a second go you never know.

Mine are being very slow this year all round aviary and cages.

But I am very short on hens, so am off on a hen hunt this weekend, to try and improve things for my zebs.

I do hope you have some luck soon:)

All the best

Clare

Thanks Claire  

Gonna give this breeding job a proper go in the new year,new Bird Room bought a few months ago,I've started to kit it out how i want it.Just finished installing the new breeding cages with lights :D will post another video later when it gets dark to give you a better impression of the lights.

• Like 1