Lee Pycroft

Lee From Bury In Lancashire

Hi Lee

This is one of the outside flight.

OutsideflightApril29th20142_zpsa092a710.

This is part of the inside flight. But I now wish I had bought a larger shed (shed  is 8 x 9 ) I feel I want/ need more space for my breeding cages.

insideflightMarch26th2014_zps10608986.jp

I have my cockatiels in the left hand section just now while they have been breeding.

I've sent you a pm.

Emmy

• Like 2

Wow!!! I'm impressed! !!! Very nice!!!! 12 months in the construction? ??

Ditto about shed size, I think I'll be extending mine one day, but will get the first project done first lol ;-)

Thanks for sharing!

by heck where does the time go? Seeing it was the end of June since I last posted in here I thought I would update for the people who are interested....

Well, the aviary part of the shed is all done, and I have even got round to putting some birdies in..... I have currently 11 birds in there, 7 I have bought from Merv Sheilds, which include one CFW Cock bird, 2 CFW hens, a pair of normals and a pair of pied's! I bought the other 4 from Dave Huntington, two hens and two cock birds, some lovely fawn birds.. All big birds too (exhibition sized) so looking forward to breeding from them, which I will be doing next year hopefully..

This will give me time to build an outside flight to house lots of babies lol...

I would like to thank both Merv and Dave for the birds and the helpful advice about all things Zebbie's... I will upload some pictures of the inside of the shed/aviary in the next days.....

Lee,

Are you going to cage breed or aviary breed with those birds??

Andy

• Like 1

Lee,

Are you going to cage breed or aviary breed with those birds??

Andy

no real room to cage breed at the minute, I have one large breeding cage that is currently in my utility which I can put a pair in if I so wish! I may just keep that for a "sick bay" if any have problems....

I have set up the aviary in the shed so that I can breed "in the aviary"... I have panelled a 1/4 of the front of the aviary and cut out 8 holes in it, at the moment I have put small boards over the holes, then attached the breeding box on the outside... Once the "new" season starts i'll remove the small boards thus allowing the birds to gain access to the box....

At the moment the birds have been in just over a week, things have settled down after WW3 at the start of the week... I don't want them to breed but a few of them are now making cosy in the food dishes! Infact 3 pairs now sleep in them at night... I just hope they don't start breeding in them! I haven't put any nesting materials in the aviary but reading a few bits here and there on internet, that doesn't matter with zebbies lol... Think if I stood still long enough in the aviary they would breed in my pockets... Will post pictures of the aviary and the breeding boxes set up and you'll understand better... A picture paints a thousand words and all that...

May ask Merv round to give me his opinion also, but will post a few pictures and seek some comments, either positive or constructive on here!

Oh one last thing, joined the Zebra Finch Society earlier in the week, received my welcome pack through the post today, many thanks Dave Edwards... Will have a sit down over the remainder of the weekend and have a read of all the stuff sent! Proper job now lol

Lee,

The reason I asked was that if you aviary bred you would have no control and the different types would cross over and it's possible you might loose track of who's who's parents.

But if someone is available to advise you locally that would be good. My mentor lives 45mns away but I can phone, email and visit for advice etc.

Andy

Yeah I know what you mean, but they are all birds from breeders so have various rings on them.... my daughter is very interested at the minute (she's 6).. so all the birds have names ;-) I have also taken pictures of each bird and I'm going to put them in a book to be kept in the shed....

I've numbered the boxes and I'll ring any babies when they are born and log their parents etc... I know it's not as simple as that but not really interested in getting as serious about the keeping and breeding of them as some of the keepers on here!!! Really is for fun and as long as my birds remain healthy and I get the odd baby to watch grow I'll be happy...

I'll enjoy keeping them, and if I get babies then great, I will keep some and sell some and go from there.... Well that's the plan lol.... :-)

Welcome to the forum.

I also keep zebras in a shed (two flight cages)

Im currently having the same problem as im reaching 20 birds with 11 eggs left and the mother isnt one bit happy.

Any questions just ask as we were all beginners once.

Stephen.

• Like 1

Hi Stephen

by heck where does the time go?

I have just been thinking the same recently :lol:

Glad to hear that you have got some birds in the aviary. I know what you mean when you say zebbies will nest almost anywhere (lol)

I've had them laying eggs in their seed dish and trying to incubate them there too - but it meant one hip in and one hip out :crazy:

They can be so comical too.  I like your idea of taking photographs of each bird when they decide to nest.

I had caught 8 of my young zebbies  from the outside flight and put them  into  a cage ready to sell.  but yesterday after standing looking at them for a while I changed my mind about selling them and they are back in the outside flight again :fool:

Good luck with the breeding

Emmy

• Like 1

Thanks Stephen and Emmy, will always seeking advice from the wealth of experience and knowledge from members on here..

This is a picture of the inside of my shed.I have put white Lyno on the walls, for two reasons, one, easy to wipe clean, and two, shows off the birds better with a white background.

inside1_zps80993835.jpg[/u

inside2_zpsd8c170b3.jpg[/u

inside3_zpseaf2b1ad.jpg[/url

This is a picture of the 8 holes I've put in the side panel to allow access to the 8 breeding boxes!

inside5_zps3768ebf7.jpg[/u

don't want them breeding yet so have put a square piece of plastic between aviary and breeding box..

inside6_zpsb129731f.jpg[/u

inside7_zpsbeb39efa.jpg[/u

mad max this little guy.

max_zps5b642a5b.jpg

This guy is Oscar

Ocsar_zps2c408239.jpg

This hen is Jerry

Jerry_zpsdd2c7d10.jpg

These four are, Pepsi and Shirley (2 cfw) and the other two are Mellman and Bella..

drinkers1_zps2d2e2f9d.jpg

love this, Pepsi,Oscar and Bella watching to cocks birds down on the floor kicking off.. They were both stood high on their legs, chest puffed out running at each other lol

drinkers2_zps90be2b29.jpg

Peter and Penny Pied...

PennyandPeterPieds_zps24b2d3cd.jpg

last one for tonight!   " you talking to me? are you? you talking to me?"  Peter chatting to Max with Alec the CFW just not interested! lol

AlexMaxampPeter_zpse3bf4a98.jpg

• Like 4

Lol...you got me... they were my choice hahaha.. too be fair I was going to go with bevis and butthead but the look I got off the wife I decided to go with pepsi and Shirley!!!!!... la la and dipsy were discussed lol

• Like 1

Ha Ha!!

This is what makes this forum so great!

Nice looking set up Lee.

Andy

• Like 1

Ha Ha!!

This is what makes this forum so great!

Nice looking set up Lee.

Andy

Thanks fella. ... :-). ... will keep posting pictures and updates.. I know many might not be interested but if it generates some comments both positive or constructive then I'll keep posting. . .

• Like 1

Lee Thank You for posting those photographs of your work and the photographs of your birds and the  comments that went with them. You just made my night and I had a good laugh and thought - Thank goodness there's someone else who thinks like me (lol)  My family are beginning to think I'm 'crackers' because I talk to my birds all the time. (I've found some of them  do get to recognise their name.)

I have one named Oscar too but it should be changed to Oscarina as it turned out to be a female -(she's not a zebby though she is one of the canaries that I had to hand rear.)

I really like how you have organised the inside of your flight you have put a lot of work into that. Have you got your chair in the shed yet? (lol) Love reading your posts - please keep them coming. :good:

Emmy

• Like 1

Just thought I would share this little idea I had and then created... We all know our Zebbies love bathing, and you can buy baths for them to hook on the outside of cages...However there isn't much on the market for baths to go into your indoor aviaries...Ok you can buy big stone baths or similar but there more  for outside flights but usually expensive... I currently don't have an outside flight so if I want them to bathe I need to put in a tray of some kind, the problem with that is the water goes everywhere and soaks everything...So I came up with this yesterday!

20140822_163517_zps1c80c69a.jpg

20140822_163526_zps23f22a1e.jpg

tubafter_zps5ab9545c.jpg

Bought the tub for £2.99, cut a hole out, wee bit of wood for a perch so they can get in and out easily and hey presto....And with the lid on the water stays inside, no wet aviary.....

They love it....... had 8 in it at once this afternoon! very amusing...They came out like drowned rats lol..

• Like 3

Lee Thank You for posting those photographs of your work and the photographs of your birds and the  comments that went with them. You just made my night and I had a good laugh and thought - Thank goodness there's someone else who thinks like me (lol)  My family are beginning to think I'm 'crackers' because I talk to my birds all the time. (I've found some of them  do get to recognise their name.)

I have one named Oscar too but it should be changed to Oscarina as it turned out to be a female -(she's not a zebby though she is one of the canaries that I had to hand rear.)

I really like how you have organised the inside of your flight you have put a lot of work into that. Have you got your chair in the shed yet? (lol) Love reading your posts - please keep them coming. :good:

Emmy

lol, a chair you say?...Of course.. Well actually made a box/storage between aviary wall and shed wall...I have put a lid on it with hinge that lifts up and has all my "finch" stuff in it.... You can see it in one of  the pictures posted (without lid at the time).. I going to get the lid upholstered so it's a bit more comfy... Oh, and i'll put a wee shelf in to rest my brew on while I sit there watching them! :-)

Thanks for your comments Emmy...

in this picture you can see the box with the brown(unpainted lid) propped open!...

inside3_zpseaf2b1ad.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Lee I just love your idea for the bird bath (Before you 'patent' your idea :D  I'm going to copy it and make two: one for the inside flight and one for the outside flight. )

I have a bowl of drinking water that I put down for the cockatiels in the inside flight and since I've opened up that section now I have their chicks inside the house the finches have decided its a new bath for them and there was water everywhere except in the bowl :lol:  I do have a large bird bath that I use for the inside aviary but that came with the cage but you're right in saying the large bird baths are expensive .

I don't have a chair in my shed now :cray: I had to take it out because I needed the room for my cages ( should have got the larger shed :fool: ) but once I get the roof on the outside flight watertight my chair will be going in there :good: meantime I just have to stand ! (lol)

Emmy

Hi Lee I just love your idea for the bird bath (Before you 'patent' your idea :D  I'm going to copy it and make two: one for the inside flight and one for the outside flight. )

I have a bowl of drinking water that I put down for the cockatiels in the inside flight and since I've opened up that section now I have their chicks inside the house the finches have decided its a new bath for them and there was water everywhere except in the bowl :lol:  I do have a large bird bath that I use for the inside aviary but that came with the cage but you're right in saying the large bird baths are expensive .

I don't have a chair in my shed now :cray: I had to take it out because I needed the room for my cages ( should have got the larger shed :fool: ) but once I get the roof on the outside flight watertight my chair will be going in there :good: meantime I just have to stand ! (lol)

Emmy

Your welcome re the bath. . Just thought posting it other members might think it helpful!!!....

Ps... think we all need bigger sheds lol

Pps... and more money to spend on birds to fill them lol...

• Like 1

Hi Lee I just love your idea for the bird bath (Before you 'patent' your idea :D I'm going to copy it and make two: one for the inside flight and one for the outside flight. )I have a bowl of drinking water that I put down for the cockatiels in the inside flight and since I've opened up that section now I have their chicks inside the house the finches have decided its a new bath for them and there was water everywhere except in the bowl :lol: I do have a large bird bath that I use for the inside aviary but that came with the cage but you're right in saying the large bird baths are expensive . I don't have a chair in my shed now :cray: I had to take it out because I needed the room for my cages ( should have got the larger shed :fool: ) but once I get the roof on the outside flight watertight my chair will be going in there :good: meantime I just have to stand ! (lol)Emmy

So come on then Emmy, stop Basking in the limelight from winning the photo competition, I've shown you mine, so you show me yours!!! Lol...

the bird bath btw ;-)

:rofl:  :rofl: :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  

I've bought the 2 plastic boxes with lids but I haven't had time to fix them yet.

At the moment the Dr says I've got a 'frozen shoulder' and said  I've not to do any lifting or any repetitive work like sweeping, hoovering etc. but hopefully  I'll get the bird baths  done in the next few days. 

Was at our local bird sale today and almost came home with 3 Japanese Quails but they were young and couldn't be sexed - so I didn't buy  My friend bought a lovely male 'Diamond Firetail'  beautiful little bird.

I'll post photographs soon ;)

edited to add photo:

http://i1285.photobucket.com/albums/a590/Emmy1851/BirdBathshomemade_zpscf9d3024.jpg

Emmy

:rofl:  :rofl: :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  

I've bought the 2 plastic boxes with lids but I haven't had time to fix them yet.

At the moment the Dr says I've got a 'frozen shoulder' and said  I've not to do any lifting or any repetitive work like sweeping, hoovering etc. but hopefully  I'll get the bird baths  done in the next few days. 

Was at our local bird sale today and almost came home with 3 Japanese Quails but they were young and couldn't be sexed - so I didn't buy  My friend bought a lovely male 'Firetail'  beautiful little bird.

I'll post photographs soon ;)

edited to add photo:

lol.... those will be great I'm sure... Think you should be banned from going to those auctions hahaha..

hope your shoulder gets better soon chuck x

http://i1285.photobucket.com/albums/a590/Emmy1851/BirdBathshomemade_zpscf9d3024.jpg

Emmy

1st of September!!!! By heck, it's been a while since I updated this topic..lol..Sorry.. So for those interested I begunwork on the outside flight at the back end of the year, late November to be precise, and yeah it was cold then too....

I have took pictures during the construction and hope you like them? Any questions or suggestions gratefully received!

The first spade went in here, the holes for the foundations to hold the frame in place! 8 altogether!

Flight1_zpsb2c68154.jpg

The Front frame!

Flight2_zps63c7d92b.jpg

We now have a front, back and side! The back and the side have been covered with felt to prolong the life of the flight and protect the wood from the elements!

Flight3_zpsba7c6fdd.jpg

Connected to the shed..

Flight4_zpsaad24c7f.jpg

Panelling the front, I also fitted mesh behind the panelling for extra security!

Flight6_zps5cd45dee.jpg

Amazing what a bit of paint does eh!

Flight7_zpsecd3186a.jpg

The safety porch so I can enter the flight without risking birds escaping!

Flight8_zpsba3882e1.jpg

I can stand in here, close the door and drink my brew watching the birdies.. Peace! :-)

Flight9_zpsc57143c5.jpg

Roof done, guttering done, decided to attach a water butt in order to water the garden in the summer!

Flight10_zpsa61a9a82.jpg

Inside the safety porch. Going to fit a fold away seat eventually..

Flight11_zpsfa1443a7.jpg

A view from within the safety porch... Bird bath was an ebay bargain, and the entry/exit to the flight from the indoor

aviary is via the cat flap top left!.. This is operated via steel cable from outside the aviary!

Flight12_zpsf3dc6fb2.jpg

Another internal view!

Flight13_zpsf45b5516.jpg

Pea gravel on the floor, £2.50 a bag.. Cheap as chips!

Flight16_zps8b1d0ac6.jpg

Closer view of the cat flap and the perches around the entrance!

Flight14_zpsf28e7eff.jpg

View from the other end, the two topiary balls, £6.99 Home bargains, solar powered and light up at night! lol

Flight17_zpsc2173d23.jpg

The tree stump is my other seat so I can take pictures of the birds as I'm keen on my photography!

Flight20_zps449b3bf9.jpg

Birds eye view from top perch!

Flight21_zpscd3081ed.jpg

Two Meshes! For extra security I have meshed the outside and inside of the flight!

Flight23_zpsba84fdbe.jpg

Lot's of ivy to give it hopefully a more natural look!

Flight22_zpsa81feda4.jpg

I was hoping to let the birds out this weekend, but with plunging tempersure's they'll stay in another week, so guys what do you think?, they always look nice before they have been soiled by the Zebbies lol..

One last thing to do, As it is still cold and windy I'm in the process of building two small square frames with see-through plastic attached to slot over the two main openings/windows! They will only be temporary until the weather improves!

At the moment the 2 openings/windows are uncovered and the 3rd filled in with some twin-walled polycarbonate which I got free of a mate who is in the building trade.He was demolishing an old conservatory! He gave me three of the roof panels and I've used one so far to seal the last window as you can see below.

Flight10_zpsa61a9a82.jpg

• Like 5