Sign in to follow this  
MrMe3257

Puzzled?

Ive bred my fawn pied with  normal grey black breast and the outcome was fawn pied female (light fawn in colour) grey pied female and a normal male. Fawn is a sex link mutation so that female shouldnt be fawn.

as if that wasn't already puzzling that fawn female is paired with a normal grey black cheek whose 3 out of 4 eggs hatched and one appears to be a fawn( brownish beak, lighter skin tone) hopefully it turns out to be a male.

Any idea on why the fawn pied is a female not a male when the mother was fawn?

Hi 

It is my understanding that how sex linked works is that if a pair is of different sex linked colour mutations that the daughters will get their colour from the father and the sons will be split for both the colours. 

for example if there is a fawn cock x a normal grey hen all the daughters would be fawn but the sons would be normal split fawn. The other way round a normal cock x  fawn hen would mean all the daughters would be normal but the sons would still be split for fawn.

It sounds like if your getting fawn hens the dads must also be split fawn for if you get a normal split fawn cock x fawn hen you get a daughters that are either normal or fawn and sons that are either normal split fawn or full fawn. 

If I haven't explained myself well enough maybe this link will help?

http://zebrafinch.info/index.php/genetic-advisor/#

Ive done the normal split fawn to fawn hen but it works with most combos to normal just not sex linked to other sex linked 

Hope this helps

James

And both parents needed to be carrying the Pied gene too.

Makes your head spin at times.

Andy