Sign in to follow this  
Paul49

My First Ever Zebra Finches

Finally found the cfw I wanted, as I love the white zebs.

Picked up this lovely cock bird at same time. Not sure on his colouring?

post-3531-0-74988000-1410198458_thumb.jp

Paul,

Thanks for posting the photographs of your new birds.  They are two lovely birds. I like the CFW's  as well.

The cock bird looks as though its a normal pied but I'm sure others members will be able to give you a more  accurate answer.

but whatever 'name' it is given its still a very nice bird.

Unfortunately for  me since I let all my birds 'free' in the outside flight to choose their own mate seems my CFW's have decided to pair up with the other colours (fawn, normal, pied etc) so unless I can separate them and pair cwf with cfw  I'll just have to start again with a new pair because any CFW I do get from what I have now will be split for other colours.

I know you will enjoy having them. :good:

Emmy

A month or so back there were a few `white` zebs in my local pet shop, and I was tempted then, but resisted. I`ve kicked myself ever since, as after looking at all the other colour varieties, that`s the colour that excites me. Although I also like fawns, black cheeks, and crested. Called the pet shop today and was told they had one `white` bird in so off I went.

The other cocks were all normal Zebras. This one has a much lighter cheek colour, which is what caught my eye.

Have to say I love the peep they make. So cute. My dog is enamoured too. She must think they are squeaky toys!!

Almost got tempted by some Bengalese finches at pet store too. Could be a dangerous hobby this.

Could be a dangerous hobby this

I did warn you zebra Finches were addictive :rofl:

Paul you should get a pair of Benaglese  they get on well with the zebra finches. I bought a pair and they had 2 young - really two lovely little chicks and nothing like the colour of  'mum or dad'  I'll be honest - Re the parents  I couldn't tell which one was the cock and which was the hen. and one of the adults has  died so now I don't know if its an adult cock bird I have or if its a hen? :unknw:  but the three of them are always together.

Emmy

I very nearly did get a couple of the Bengalese as I had read up on them yesterday, and they sounded really delightful birds. They are certainly pretty little finches.

Don`t encourage me. I`m easing myself in gently :-)

Paul,

2 x 2014 (late bred) white cocks (possibly both cocks (brothers)) will be coming up at the Forum's auction site soon if you'r looking for Whites.

Andy N

Thanks Andy

I think I spotted a pair of exhibition cfw`s listed on the auction already. I`d struggle to get to Stafford to collect though.

Just been browsing on efinch and think my cock could be a lightback split for cfw ?

I believe that Cock is a lightback. Beautiful bird you got there.

Finches are like cocaine, "You can check out whenever you want, but you can never leave"  :rofl:

-Kareem

• Like 3

Thanks Kareem. I thought he could be lightback. He does look paler than some of the pics I`ve seen though so I thought he may be split for cfw.

I`m happy with them both anyway

beautiful birds :) i am yet to get white's though.

i have 4 bengies with my finches, they dont seem to want to breed though, i  know i have 2 male 2 female, they love helping the finches out with nesting though :) 

The Bengalese do sound super friendly birds. I was reading yesterday that they like to share the same nest together and will all cram in. Don`t get me thinking about them again!

Bengalese make fantastic foster parent's. an you always remember where the eggs came from. I remember spending hours watching mine just so I could sex them as I think only the cock bird sings.

I too think your cock bird is a light back. definitely a handsome looking fella.  your hen is a very lucky girl.

I have 3 bengies after reading about foster parents etc. I never used them as fosters yet but I have paired them up first before my zebs so hopefully ill have more foster parents when the newbies are paired up.

Stephen