Sign in to follow this  
Silver Cheeks

Hi All

Hi Everyone,

Im from Havant in Hampshire, I've been keeping birds now for only 6 months and I am fast gathering a nice collection, I have 2 aviaries and have converted my old model room to a bird breeding room. Its a nice room but next year I will fit it out more professionally. I currently have 8 Budgies, 4 Cockatiels and 10 Zebra Finches. I have bought them all into the bird room now for winter.

Anyway thats me so hi and hope we can all share some knowledge and experiences.  

Welcome to the Forum.

That sounds quite a mixture of birds you have there and like so many of us also do.

Ask away and enjoy the forum.

Andy

Welcome to the forum always nice to see another new member.

Do you keep the budgies separate from the finches? 

I have my cockatiels, diamond doves, canaries, Bengalese, zebra Finches and Chinese painted quail all  together in the  outside flight and apart from the CPQs the others all go into the inside flight of their own accord. 

There has been a discussion about putting budgies with finches, some for and some against.

Would like to know your opinion on this.

Emmy

Thank you all for a warm welcome,

I keep all my birds as separate species I did have them all in 1 aviary to start with but found the finches just took over every nest box and one or two of the budgies were a little aggressive towards Zebras and the cockatiels.

I had a 10x6 green house I wasn't using and removed all the glass,boarded the back, the back of the roof and half the side to form shelter and meshed the front sections and fitted twin wall plastic sheet like for a conservatory to the front section of roof.

I divided this in to two 4ft x 6ft areas leaving me a 2ft x 6ft safety entrance.

Only draw back is I have to go through Zebra finch enclosure to get into budgies enclosure but you learn a few tricks to make it quick and easy. If someone would be kind enough to explain how I upload/add pictures I will happily post some pic's of the aviaries and birds.       

I was going to say try photobucket. But your photos have come up fine. You have a really nice set up. 

At the start I had thought about making a division in my outside flight for the cockatiels but have decided not to do it meantime as so far they are all getting along OK.

Thanks for posting the photos

Emmy