Sign in to follow this  
Aspen

Baby Beak Color

Sorry I can't answer your question Aspen, I've even got difficulty identifying a light back chick :blush: Hope some one will be able to answer your question.

Emmy

Thanks!  I haven't thought to check that one.  Some people say lightbacks have horn colored beaks, but it sure looks black like a normal chick in those pictures.  I wonder if it really is?  I have one I am wondering about being lightback but it had a normal black beak.  Sure is a different color than it's grey siblings though, and not fawn.

Thanks for the info.  Glad to hear from someone who has had them.

I'm really thinking this is a lightback female chick.  She is different than her brothers - lighter (silver looking) on top and quite white underneath - where she is clean.  The nest is very messy and the chicks are the dirtiest I have seen yet, so it may be a while before I get pictures up.

Thanks for the info.  Glad to hear from someone who has had them.

I'm really thinking this is a lightback female chick.  She is different than her brothers - lighter (silver looking) on top and quite white underneath - where she is clean.  The nest is very messy and the chicks are the dirtiest I have seen yet, so it may be a while before I get pictures up.

Lightbacks look very different- IMO. But can sometimes be confused with Silvers (Dominant Dilutes). Some people think they look like fawns- I dont agree at all.

They should have a darker head, almost fawn back and white belly with black markings. Lightback, Fawn and Cream

post-3791-0-80739100-1430753296_thumb.pn

Same group slightly older:

post-3791-0-39838000-1430753660_thumb.pn

Here is a lightback female:

post-3791-0-24516300-1430753753_thumb.pn

I have had people look at my pictures and say fawn but when I knew it was a grey in real life, so there is a similarity.  But this girl (she has to be a girl if she is LB in this case) looks different than her brothers for sure, but is also grey.