Sign in to follow this  
Tony69

Hello

Hi everyone,

My names Tony I live in Liverpool and I am looking at starting up again in this great hobby after about 15yrs out. I have been looking and asking for bird breeders who might be able to help me start off again and if possible in the near future start showing my birds. I have always had a very big interest in birds and have kept most birds though out my life but with family and moving house a few times I found it unfair on the birds to keep moving them.

Hopefully I can start up again so if you know of anyone who might be able to help me out that would be great.

Thanks all,

Tony

Hi Tony

Most will be breeding now so the availability of surplus is limited September is a good time when there are an abundance of birds available the ZFS club show is held near Preston this year and there will be birds for sale as well as the best in the country entered in the show

Nick

Yeh not to bad mate just getting back in the swing if things, Just trying to get some decent quality birds but like nick said everyone's using the goodens to breed. Where in Liverpool are ya?? I'm only down the road.

Adrian

Welcome to the forum Tony,

You may be able to pick up some birds before September at some of the bird sales that are held by various clubs.

Here our club has a bird sale on the last Sunday of each month.

Hope you are able to find some birds soon.

Emmy

Adrian, am not far from Liverpool airport, I was up your way today.

Guttered about the timing for getting some birds I've not had much luck I've been looking on all the add,s but with out much luck.

Glad your getting back in the swing it's something that never leaves you.

Tony

Hi Emmy,

Thanks for the welcome, I'm looking at the moment for any clubs an shows around me without any luck at the moment there is a bird auction I can go to but not sure on the birds I need to be looking for don't wont to be spending money on birds when they may not be of good quality type or knowing where they come from.

How's things with you and your birds?

Tony

Hi Tony

At the moment I've got two full nest (Blackcheeks) Not 100% sure of the number of chicks  in each nest but there were 6 eggs in one and 5 eggs the other. 

I'm going to be pairing up  a white BC hen with a  normal BC cock who is split for white, hoping I'll get  good coloured white BC chicks (the hen doesn't have very dark BC but the cock bird is a beauty)

My other finches get to choose their mate so I get some nice surprises but it makes it difficult to keep records.

I've also got a pair of Hecks  laying again but in the past, although the eggs are fertile  they seem to give up on incubating properly and any chicks that did hatch they toss out from the nest.  Considering putting some of their eggs in the incubator.

Same with the gouldians the eggs get laid but so far they haven't incubated any.

My 3 owl finches haven't laid any more eggs so far, so I'm considering moving them into a different cage - I know I definitely have at least one female because I've had eggs but not sure the sex of the other two.

A pair of my cockatiels have two young in their nest box --

:lol:  :lol:I'll not say anything just now about the others i.e. the canaries, the diamond doves, the Baraband Parrots, the Texan white quails, the Chinese painted quails or the hens. :lol:  :lol:

Emmy

Hi Tony

There is a bird auction every Thursday near Wigan.......not always zebras there but I believe it gets busy so it maybe worth a trip to check out and maybe get chatting to other bird lovers for advice etc etc. Clipley pet shop in Haydock sometimes has exhibition size Zebs in also!

Scott

I sometimes get up to Wigan to meet several members, it's a good night and a great bunch of people. I've also sold birds at this auction.

Clipsley Pets is also a good stockiest of birds, but can be a bit expensive.

Both well worth a visit.

Gary.

Hi Emmy,

Wow you have a great selection of birds and by the sound of things they are all doing well, if you have canaries breaking at the same time as your other birds (I always remember my grandad saying ) canaries with sit and bring up other birds eggs or chicks. You could give that ago.

Sorry about the late answer not long in from work.

Thanks,

Tony

Hi Tony

There is a bird auction every Thursday near Wigan.......not always zebras there but I believe it gets busy so it maybe worth a trip to check out and maybe get chatting to other bird lovers for advice etc etc. Clipley pet shop in Haydock sometimes has exhibition size Zebs in also!

Scott

Hi Scott,

Thanks for this info mate my daughter lives in Haydock so I could ask her to pop in the pet shop for me, and thanks for the auction info I,ll look for the address and try,n get up there.

Tony

Morning all, I'm going to take a trip to Clipley pet shop later today I'll let you know how it goes tonight.

Tony

(I always remember my grandad saying ) canaries with sit and bring up other birds eggs or chicks. You could give that ago

.Thanks for that Tony I know that Bengalese do that but I've never heard of canaries doing that. The finches two eggs are still in her nest and she is still sitting on the nest,  the chick she has is growing too (lol)

Emmy

Happy days tony, addlington pet shop is another decent one :)

Adrian

Thanks for the info mate I'll have a look for the address now,

Tony

Hi Emmy things are still looking good for your bird, I have heard Bengalese doing that and the do a good job but yes canaries do the same job worth a try with either, good luck and lets no how the get on.

Tony