Sign in to follow this  
Emmy

Hecks--The 2Nd Batch!

My pair of Heck finches have done it again! (see Blog)

They laid 6eggs hatched out four. 

Tossed 3 of the chicks out from the nest. (they died)

I rescued the last chick in the nest and also the two eggs that were still to hatch.

Eggs are now in the incubator and the chick is in a hospital cage.

It's not looking too good but I'll give it a chance

Pity that none of my Bengalese are nesting or I could have popped it into their nest.

Emmy

Hi Steve
Seems they aren't very good at rearing their young.  Did your Hecks toss the young from their nest too?

Before, the hen just laid loads of eggs but never incubated them but these last two clutches have been fertile and it seems when it gets to the chicks hatching they don't seem to realise the chicks need to be fed :mad: and they get tossed out from the nest. That last chick that I was hand feeding (the one that died) I noticed that it had been pecked on its wings and its feet so I guess it was going to be tossed out from the nest too.  The chick that hatched out in the incubator so far is doing OK.

Be interesting to find out if others have similar problems with Heck Finches or do they always foster the eggs to another nest.

Emmy

yes emmy all of them thrown from the nest,i did tend to keep having a look in the nest so that might be the reason

steve