Sign in to follow this  
Faracat

New Pied.

I found this cobby chap in a pet shop, so he had to come home with me. ;) What do you think? He's paired up with a pet sized pied fawn hen, so I'm hoping for some medium sized pied chicks soon. :) He's also got a bigger percentage of white than any of my other pieds, so I'm hoping that the chicks will inherit a bit more white than the hen has too.

9d714147-28c8-426b-bcdf-8cc4b4ef83f5_zps

A very nice bird you have there.  Hope all goes well with the breeding

Emmy

Thanks. :) I still don't have the fawn male that I was meant to be looking for. Since I started to look out for one i have bought a young penguin hen, the pied fawn hen and this chap. Ooops. I also bought two canaries, but they were a planned purchase. :D

:good: That's what always happens You go to buy one bird and you come home with 3/4.  I've come to believe that zebra finches have the ability to brainwash us to get us to buy them. :lol:

Emmy

My kind of Bird too.

I have tried breeding Exhibition to Pet size in a former life but was never really happy with the outcome of any chicks and they ended up in Garden aviary. I believe there will usually be at least one chick that is a better quality than the others though.

If you are breeding a Normal Pied to a Fawn Pied the male chicks will be split for Fawn and if you pair them to Fawn hen next year you should get fawn cocks. 

It'll be interesting to see if your new Pied is split for any sex linked. It might already be split Fawn.

I had Light Back pied hens appear last year and spoke to the breeder of the Pied male father who said he had some appear too from my cocks brother, but I guess if you buy from a shop then you don't have the breeder to ask. BUT if your new Pied has a ZFS ring on you should be able to trace the breeder.(if you want)

Hope I'm not teaching Granny here.  :D

As an aside, I bought my first pieds from a garden centre and they won in a show. So you never can tell.

Andy

I quite like the medium sized birds that I have got before from crossing a pet sized male with an exhibition hen. I do find that the pet sized birds are better parents though (is that just my birds?). I do just breed for fun, so as long as they are healthy any pretty colour is a bonus. It would be nice if I got a surprise colour - it was wonderful when my grey normal and CFW pairing resulted in a pied BC chick in the brood. :D