Sign in to follow this  
Emmy

Bc Chicks: How Many?

I can't work out just how many chicks have hatched out in this nest with still two eggs to go.  First time I thought it was six; 2nd count I thought it was seven or maybe eight , now unless I physically lift the chicks out from the nest (which I wont do :nea: )  I will just have to have patience but if there is eight chicks in the nest and the remaining two eggs hatch will the parents be able to rear ten chicks?

post-300-0-79509900-1434050502_thumb.jpg

Emmy

Emmy,

Have you another pair with young of the same age ?

You could foster some over,

Failing that I would leave it to them to bring up,

Yes it will be a big job for them but I'm sure you'll make sure everything will be there for them,

Hope all goes well Emmy,

Trevor.

Hi Trevor

Yes I do have another nest with eggs  hatching BUT they have a LOT of eggs in their nest too :o must count them next time I'm in bird shed. -  so far they have three chicks hatched out. They are BC finches too.

So if they 2nd nest doesn't  have too many chicks hatched I'll transfer some over.

What extra 'things' should I give them? at the moment they have finch seed, panicum millet, egg food, millet sprays, oyster shell, oyster grit not sure if I should put any suppliments into their drinking water or give them conditioning seed (but thought giving them conditioning seed may make them want to breed again) They have been getting cress/apple etc  but not sure if I should give them this when the are feeding the young.

Emmy

Emmy,

I wouldn't give them condition seed or the fruit/veg either,

It seems you are giving them enough,

Good luck with your hew comers,

Trevor.