Penny W

I'm a beginner

I have just started keeping zebra finches. Never had birds before, in previous years just dogs, cats and guinea pigs! My partner always used to keep and breed budgies and is getting back into the hobby again, so I decided to go for zebras. I have started with a small flock, 2 cocks - one normal, one fawn and 4 hens - one normal, one fawn, one light back and one chestnut flank white. I am keeping cocks and hens separate for the moment as I don't want to start breeding them yet - need the new bird house up and running first!

As a newbie I will be looking here for advice, I'm looking forward to see what colours I might bread from the birds I have. I really like the cfw  but if I'm right I will need a cfw cock to make sure I get more of them. Does anyone have a cfw cock for sale? (preferably within 100 miles of Bath)

Hi Penny and welcome to the Forum.

If I guess correctly your partner contacted me yesterday and I suggested you try this Forum.

It would depend on what level of keeping Zebies you feel you want to try.

If its just a hobby with a communal Aviary then you would probably get mixed colours but if you feel showing is the way to go, I think cage breeding is best with same colour birds.

Normal Cocks can be split for e.g. Fawn or CFW and could possibly produce hens of those colours but if you want to breed those colours 100% then colour to colour is best in the first year. You then can see if any of your cocks are split. Good luck and as I said you would be very welcome to visit once my new Bird Room is up and running.

Anyway Enjoy your new hobby and ask away with your questions.

cheers

Andyn

I'm planning on cage breeding so I know who the parents are. I would like to breed birds I could show in the future. Yes, it was my partner who contacted you.

Welcome to the forum Penny One thing for sure you wont regret starting with zebra finches. I started off with cage breeding and then I got my aviary (inside & outside flights) then the BIRDS decided they would choose their own partners -the parents stuck together like glue but when the young came along I found it difficult to say which ones belonged to each set of parents and at night after the young had fledged they didn't go back into their own nest - all the young ones chose an empty nest and squashed up together. :lol: 

I have just got another bird shed so this year coming I'm going back to cage breeding. I think you are doing the correct thing by starting off cage breeding and I'm sure any problems you encounter there will always be someone here willing to give you advice.

Good luck in finding the CFW you are searching for:good:

Emmy.

2 hours ago, Andyn said:

Hi Penny and welcome to the Forum.

If I guess correctly your partner contacted me yesterday and I suggested you try this Forum.

It would depend on what level of keeping Zebies you feel you want to try.

If its just a hobby with a communal Aviary then you would probably get mixed colours but if you feel showing is the way to go, I think cage breeding is best with same colour birds.

Normal Cocks can be split for e.g. Fawn or CFW and could possibly produce hens of those colours but if you want to breed those colours 100% then colour to colour is best in the first year. You then can see if any of your cocks are split. Good luck and as I said you would be very welcome to visit once my new Bird Room is up and running.

Anyway Enjoy your new hobby and ask away with your questions.

cheers

Andyn

would love to visit your set up when it is ready, thank you

Welcome to the forum Penny.

I hope you enjoy what we have put together here.

They're a great bunch of people and I'm sure you'll get as much helps as you need along with plenty of good advise.

Gary.

Nice one Penny,

Are they exhibition stock from a breeder or ?

Here is a link to your area Zebra Finch Club SW&SCZFC- www.swandsczfc.uk You might like to join us.

Regards

Andyn

welcome to the best bird forum on the net. Penny.  any questions you have you will always find someone on here to answer them. my only bit of advise as an old newbie myself. is what ever size bird room you have double it!!! lol. this will be my first year breeding and am already planning for faze two and another aviary.

• Like 1