I have 5 Chinese painted eggs in an incubator and 5 in the aviary with the hen sitting on, she just won't get of them so have high hopes with those. 

Well this little fella hatched this morning with more pipping in the other eggs, so here's the first from the incubator 

image.jpeg

shame your not closer or i would of had them haha, most of my quail are getting old so not laying daily :( 

1 hour ago, SarahR said:

shame your not closer or i would of had them haha, most of my quail are getting old so not laying daily :( 

Maybe I can train them to be homing quail and they could fly to you..... I say fly maybe a series of jumps to you ?

haha yeah, a series of jumps.....and a bit of swimming :P first class or 2nd....with little stamps on their backs :D 

• Like 1

Its amazing how they are self sufficient from day one. I worked at a poultry farm and got in 90k day olds it was great to see them get stuck into crumb. Wish I was closer as well fancy getting some.

Edited by DaveP
Wrong word

I have two cpq's that  hatched out in incubator  on the 13th May- I just switched off the heater in the brooder two days ago.- the have had a small 'Teddy Bear' in beside them from day one and 'cuddle up' to it at night. 

I just noticed today that one of the cpq hens in my outside hutch seems to be a  bit broody and there's definitely eggs there. 

Wished she had told me she was going to hatch some out before I had put another batch into the incubator;)

Emmy

i wish mine would all lay at once! haha 

i have a hen starting to sit but not for long enough :( going to clear eggs out at weekend and then spend a week collecting fresh eggs to put in the incubator :) 

wish my california quail would start laying too! 

13296040_10153636665347654_333417113_n.jpg

Hope you get success with incubating the eggs. That cpq hen is still incubating her eggs but I don't know how many eggs she is sitting on. She's keeping that a secret. (lol)

congrats emmy :D hope they hatch, i finally have a broody CPQ :D shes on about 7 eggs! refused to move while my dad cleaned the aviary.....best part is.....shes in a zebbie nest box! we had a spare double nest so we put it on the floor.....she claimed it :) 

My CPQ is still sitting on her eggs, about 5-6, these should hatch this week, fingers crossed. 

Also got these Japenese quail eggs to put in the incubator 

image.jpeg

i hatched japanese quail eggs last year :) i loved them....but awfully messy! 

had to sell them all at around Christmas though, they kept killing my dads finches and made so much mess!....but were also very tame :D 

what kind of incubator are you using for them? :)

6 CPQ chicks hatched out this morning and I missed them hatching:( 

still a few more due in 4/5 days - now I know I shouldn't have put those extra eggs in - the last lot of 12 eggs only 2 chicks hatched that's why I put in more this time and it looks as thought they will all hatch!!! I only wanted 6/7chicks.

Emmy

i have been out into the aviary today....found the quail still sitting tight :) ....looked under a small shelf.....about 7 more eggs! all together in a corner! tomorrow i'll be setting up my incubator :D 

On 31 May 2016 at 22:37, SarahR said:

i hatched japanese quail eggs last year :) i loved them....but awfully messy! 

had to sell them all at around Christmas though, they kept killing my dads finches and made so much mess!....but were also very tame :D 

what kind of incubator are you using for them? :)

Not sure what type this is but it's a manual one (turn the eggs yourself)

image.jpeg

looks like a brinsia or something like that :P

i have a cheap one (cost me about £40 from ebay) but it does the job for the rare amount i hatch :) 

i think mines a Janoel12 or something like that :) and fully automatic :D 

Don't do what I did though. I accidentally missed filling the water trough one evening in mine and the eggs all dried up.:cray::(

Got doubts of it  being a brinsea incubator doesn't look like theirs I have a Brinsea one. (Can only see part of it in the photo though)

5. 22 May2013 2.20 pm (4).JPG

This incubator has hardly been off lately.

It's my partners, she got it from her dad who keeps fancy type of chickens, we been using it for a year or 2 now hatching chickens so the kids can see. 

Will see if I can find some info on it 

It's my partners, she got it from her dad who keeps fancy type of chickens, we been using it for a year or 2 now hatching chickens so the kids can see. 

Will see if I can find some info on it 

well if I bothered to turn it over I would have seen this 

image.jpeg

i dry hatch mainly :D but with me living near the sea, the air is quite humid :) 

i had a funny feeling it was brinsia octagon but i wasnt 100% on the octagon bit :P 

i have some eggsiting news myself :D just candled one of the eggs the quail in the aviary is sitting on.....FERTILE and looks due to hatch this week!!! shes sat on about 7 eggs :) fully natural too :) even some of the eggs under the shelf are showing fertile!! but will be bringing that load in for incubator just incase it's the heat that have caused them to start developing :D

.....next issue is when the eggs hatch under my broody quail....do i move mum and chicks into my indoor aviary where there are no other birds but plenty of space and private for them or do i leave them outside and risk them getting out, lost or killed D:

i have attached some pictures of my japanese chicks from last year :) the pure yellow one turned out fully white with a little brown spot on back of her head......she was called devil :) 

10985410_10152862559217654_8667627442284506124_n.jpg

11036531_10152933062612654_4060550901564944497_n.jpg

11392783_10152928446942654_8431255957681111643_n.jpg

1 hour ago, SarahR said:

.....next issue is when the eggs hatch under my broody quail....do i move mum and chicks into my indoor aviary where there are no other birds but plenty of space and private for them or do i leave them outside and risk them getting out, lost or killed D:

When I had a pair that had hatched  out the eggs themselves I removed them from the outside flight and transferred them into a large cage. Felt it was safer - other chicks that had hatched out in the hutch where there were  other quails they  never survived.

So if these chicks hatch out(the ones  that are being incubated by the hen ) whenever they are hatched I'll be putting them into a brooder.

Maybe you ones will be OK though.

Emmy