Sign in to follow this  
Sue55

just joined

Hi my name Susan, I am from Manitoba Candada.

I have two plus zebra inches.Not sure of the plus yet. My two had babies and I don't know how many there are,but I can hear them. I've had to separate my two because the male has plucked the female bald. My tow aren't happy with me right now. 

I'm hoping to get some much needed info from more experienced zebra finch people. 

Sue55

Hi  Susan Welcome to the forum. It's the usual story (lol) you buy a pair of zebra finches and before you know it you begin to lose count of how many  you have:lol:

Here's something you can try to stop  the male plucking her feathers. Cut 6 /8 --10 cm lengths of  normal parcel string  - gather them together and fold them in half and put the loop through the cage wires and then pull the other part through the loop to secure to the cage and he will be more interested trying to pull the string apart and leave the female alone. This has worked for me before. Hope it's of some help to you  

The wee ones can make some noise when they are letting 'mum' know they want to be fed.:lol:

Are you just going to keep zebra finches?  I have a few different types of finches and other birds too.

At the moment I have some eggs in my incubator , found them on the bottom of my inside flight in the aviary and one was a diamond dove's egg and  I had to help the  tiny diamond dove chick out from its shell  yesterday (it was stuck in shell and would have died if I hadn't helped it get out) and I'm now hand rearing it. I'll be  feeding it  (using a cocktail stick) every 2 hours for the first few days. This photo was taken when it was an hour old.  8.27am 29th May 2017diamond dove.jpg

• Like 1

Hello Susan and welcome to the Forum.

I'm sure members on here will help and advise as much as you need.

I used Emmy's idea of string to stop the feather plucking and in 11 out of 12 cages it worked.

I have a White cock bird who is a notorious hen & chick plucker he didn't stop completely but was not as aggressive with it. Also I noticed that the fledged babies like to play with the string too.

Enjoy your birds and enjoy the Forum. Perhaps we'll see you enter our monthly Photo Competition.

AndyN