Kev Barrett

different colour chicks

Hi I'm new to having finches and I have some Penguin finches and now have had two chicks hatched but when they hatched the first was pink and the second black is this common. Also as they have got bigger the first one the pink one looks like it might be albino as its pure white the other is still black feathered. so are all pink chicks albino' cheers Kev

Welcome to the forum Kev. I'm not much good at working out colours but sometimes this happens  and you get different colour of chicks in a nest  I think it has something to do with the 'genes' the parent birds may be carrying. Maybe the colour isn't visible in the parent bird but they could be 'split' for another colour (some gene/colour  that has been carried down from a previous generation.)   

Fingers crossed some other member will jump in here and answer your question in case I've got this all wrong. 

(Bet you will be more confused that ever after reading my answer:unsure::lol: but that's what I blame it on when I don't get the colours I wanted/expected  to hatch out :D

Emmy

Hi Kev and welcome to the forum.

If your chick was pink at hatching and is all over pure white then this will possibly be a Pied/White. Your photo didn't really do it justice. If it has tear marks then it is some other mutation like Chestnut Flanked White. Both parents need to be carrying the Pied/White gene to produce a White.. Show us again a little later and we should be able to ID proper..

Young penguin chicks look like normal chicks and that’s how penguins get sold unknown to the breeder as they lose the tear as they moult out. 

Your light coloured chick is from the Fawn side as it’s got a bone coloured beak, the grey side chicks have dark coloured beaks. 

Hope this helps. 

Trevor ?

That's OK Kev, Penguin don't have tear marks but the point I was using is that if the White colour bird/chick has tear marks then it could be any other mutation and one which springs to mind being White is Chestnut Flanked White. There are loads of possibilities and it looks like a member who has more mutation experience than me is answering.